[Solved] Ineffective Templating

Using them, Making them , Finding them

Re: [Solved] Ineffective Templating

Postby DarkFlame » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:51 pm

Someone beat me to marking my own thread "Solved," but it has definitely been solved - at least the templating part.

I have managed to create the template for my recipes to match the parameters used in my MS-Word.docx files. This was a HUGE step toward being able to use the OOWriter program. I really appreciate ALL the patience everyone afforded me in achieving this rudimentary level of proficiency. I now have a default template that matches my recipes (99% of my word processing). When I need letterhead or envelopes or thank-you notes or anything else, I can now create a template, save it as needed, and have it available whenever I need to use it. This really increases the functionality of my word processing using OOWriter.

THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH for pushing, prodding, shoving, pulling me in the direction I needed to get here!!!

David Labens
San Antonio, TX
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1703 with AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 6400+ 3.2ghz with 8gb RAM
DarkFlame

Postby RoryOF » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:54 pm

We advise working in .odt format until the file is complete; then, and only then, Save As to any other format. It is best to use.doc format instead of .docx.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 18.04 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby DarkFlame » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:57 pm

RoryOF wrote:We advise working in .odt format until the file is complete; then, and only then, Save As to any other format. It is best to use.doc format instead of .docx.

I was hoping to import my 3000+ source files from MS-Word.docx into OOW. I am convinced that it cannot happen without having to edit EVERY. SINGLE. FILE. They don't hit the page size correctly when importing (I use 5.5"x8.5" statement paper for my cookbooks). But, I am convinced that it cannot do that satisfactorily.

SO, I am going to take all the recipes I have actually worked through, to the point that I want to publish them, and manually copy/paste from the .docx file into the .odt file. Then, I'll delete the .docx file knowing that I have it in a distributable format. I think the .odt format may lend itself to web publishing better, but that is a whole 'nother thing - worst case, I can do what I was doing with the .docx files & copy the text from the source and paste into the destination page.

So, I will be using the .odt format as my primary editor going forward. Thank you!
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1703 with AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 6400+ 3.2ghz with 8gb RAM
DarkFlame

Postby RoryOF » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:02 pm

I suggest you establish the .odt files in a different directory, and maintain the .docx file just in case.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 18.04 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Zizi64 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:30 am

I am convinced that it cannot happen without having to edit EVERY. SINGLE. FILE.

If you want automatize this procedure, then YOU. MUST. WRITE. a macro for this task...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO4.4.7, LO6.1.5 on Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps, winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.2.0 and AOO4.1.5
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Templates