[Solved] Format fields in labels

Using them, Making them, Finding them
guillaumedep

[Solved] Format fields in labels

Post by guillaumedep »

I have done a number of searches trying to find the answer to this, so I hope I have not overlooked something obvious.

I am trying to recreate some functionality I have with the Avery Labels Wizard in MS Office. Specifically, I want to be able to pull in data from a spreadsheet (I can do this) into an Avery Label template (got it) and be able to format the various fields differently (don't got it). For example, I might have something that looks like this pseudo code:

<<FIRST>> <<LAST>>
*<<SERIAL>>*
<<SERIAL>>

I want the first and last lines to be in one font, say Times 16, the middle one to be in Free3of9 30 (this is a free bar code font) making sure that the return code is still in Times.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

- Sam
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
LibreOffice 6.0.6
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Re: Formatting Labels

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
guillaumedep wrote:I want to be able to pull in data from a spreadsheet (I can do this) into an Avery Label template (got it) and be able to format the various fields differently (don't got it).
File → New → Labels
guillaumedep wrote:I hope I have not overlooked something obvious.
Read about Mail Merge in Help → Index or in User Guides (PDF) or searching for topics about them in the forum. Some posts will be in the Calc Forum some in the Writer Forum.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

A Writer field is like a single character. Select it and apply any text format or character style. If it is a numeric field you can double-click and apply number formatting.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
guillaumedep

Post by guillaumedep »

Yes, I get that, but how do I apply it to all instances of a specific field, please? At what point should I be applying the format to get this to happen? In my example above, I want all of the serial numbers to be formatted with one font and the rest of the fields to be formatted with a second. I do not want to go back through and have to edit these one by one.
LibreOffice 6.0.6
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Format the fields before merging your data in.

If it is a multiple-label sheet, do it on one label and paste that entire label setup to the rest of the sheet. If the template utillizes "print multiple pages per sheet", that's all you need. If your template is a table, you need the "next record" field on all except the one that transitions to new sheet. (If you have "Next record" before content, omit in the first cell. If it is after data, omit on the last).