I want to use an empty checkbox as a bullet

Using them, Making them, Finding them
amassoglia

I want to use an empty checkbox as a bullet

Post by amassoglia »

I am creating pre-printed checklists to help me monitor task completion. The usual format for this is a line-by-line list, with an open square at the left, to be marked when each task has been completed. I cannot find this available, either as a bullet (infinitely preferable) or an insertable character. I know that it must be available, since this is such a common usage, so am puzzled as to where/how to find it. Perhaps there is a template available for this type of form?

Alice

running v. 4.0.0 under Windows Vista
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: I want to use an empty checkbox as a bullet

Post by John_Ha »

Insert > Special character. Choose Geometric shapes and find the box. Build your bullet points manually. Increase the font size of the box as required.

Or insert multiple, small Draw boxes.
Clipboard02.png
If this solves the problem, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
bullet.odt
(9.13 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Always there are more than one solution...

You can use a black square bullet (one of the from the existing default bullet characters), and apply it. Then you need select (highlights) the bullets only in the body of the document: click before the first bullet, then right click for the floating menu. In the floating menu choose the Character item, and check the Outline option. The result will be:
Attachments
OutlineCharacters.png
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The newer version of the Libreoffice can IMPORT graphical bullets:
AddGraphicalBullets.png
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The built-in List 3 list style has a checked box for the level 1 bullet and an unchecked box for the level 2 bullet. You can apply the List 3 style and demote from level 1 to level 2 to create a list with unchecked boxes.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
amassoglia

Post by amassoglia »

1, 2: The first two suggestions both might provide the correct image, but since they involve manipulation of each individual line after the fact they do not resolve the issue of being able to create a list using the 'bullet' function - I cannot simply write a bulleted line, then hit enter and have another bulleted line start automaticlly.

3: I do not know what Libreoffice is, so don't understand this approach.

4: When I apply any of the four List 3 styles they only change the line spacing and position, but add no boxes.

I'm still stumped :crazy:
Alice

Caution - objects in calendar are closer than they appear!
Running v. 4.0.0 under Windows Vista
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

You probably applied one of the List 3... paragraph styles. You need to click the List Styles icon at the top of the Styles and Formatting window and apply the List 3 list style. The odd-numbered levels have check marks. The even-numbered levels do not. When you apply the List 3 style to start a new list, Level 1 will be applied. You should see "List 3 : Level 1" in the Status bar and a box with a check mark as the bullet. Use the Demote One Level icon on the Bullets and Numbering Toolbar to demote to level 2. The Status bar should show "List 3 : Level 2" and the bullet should change to a box without a check mark.
List 3 Options
List 3 Options
List 3 Level 2 Bullets.odt
List 3 Level 2 Bullets
(8.64 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04