Inventory template question

Using them, Making them, Finding them
Grannykat

Inventory template question

Post by Grannykat »

I have three (3) columns on the right side of my inventory sheet in which I enter cost, selling price, sold price. It would be a wonderful asset if each column kept a running total (sum). Can anyone tell me (in very simple terms) how to accomplish this?
Open Office 3.1 on Windows 8
robleyd

Re: Inventory template question

Post by robleyd »

The attached spreadsheet should point you in the right direction. It simply adds the amount in the column on the left of current cell to the subtotal in the row above the current cell.
 Edit: My solution is for a spreadsheet and I just noticed this is in the Writer section. Is your inventory actually a Writer document? 
Attachments
running_total.ods
(8.15 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Grannykat

Post by Grannykat »

I suppose a spreadsheet would work. Is it possible to move it all from the inventory form to a spreadsheet without manually re-entering every item?. I have over 7.5k items.
Open Office 3.1 on Windows 8
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

If your data is already in a table, then you can use the SUM function in a row of the table. The function can be entered using Table -> Function (F2)

If you want to go over to a spreadsheet, you should be able to just copy your data from the Writer document, then paste it into a Calc document.
Paste Special (Ctrl+Shift+V) might be a better idea than Paste (ctrl+v), especially if you are copying a formatted table into Calc.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Having a spreadsheet with data and calculations...

menu:File>New>Database...
[X] Connect to existing database
Type: Spreadsheet
Specify the spreadsheet document
[X] Register the database
Save the database
Click the [Tables] section
Right-click the "database table" (it is just an alternative view on your spreadsheet data) and choose "Create Report..."
Follow the instructions.
The result is a Writer document with all the table data pulled from the spreadsheet. The Writer document is embedded in the database document.
The report is filled with table data every time you open it. After the spreadsheet document had been modified or exchanged completely, you should restart the office suite. Otherwise the changes won't be reflected in the database report. This is a draw back when using spreadsheets as data sources.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

@Villeroy: It's my understanding that the data is already in a Writer document and the OP was wondering about how to transfer the data to a spreadsheet.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Copy&Paste-Special as HTML
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice