Understanding what is stored in a template

Using them, Making them, Finding them
gorc

Understanding what is stored in a template

Post by gorc »

Hi,

I have to write a structure of templates that will be used in my company. I stareted with a simple "base" template that will be modifed later for certian needs. I made a very few changes to built-in "template" and than copied my temnplate to another computer. To my surprise a new document on another computer looked different than on mine. In my understanding some user default template was set on another computer and properties from that template were used in all cases but changes stored in my template. For example, let's say I have only changed the font size to 12'0% in Header 1 style and saved the document as "My template". On my computer alignment in Header 1 style is Left by deafult. When I try to use this template on another computer where alignment in Header 1 style is Center by default the alignment in new docoument will stay Center.

Question: I will deploy my set of templates on many computers. How can I guarantee that all properties of all styles will be the same as on my computer. Or in other words, how to store the whole styles hierarchy in the template?

Regards,
gorc
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Understanding what is stored in a template

Post by RoryOF »

Did you set your new template to be the default template on the target computer?

Have you referred for guidance to the details in
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1161

Also: check that the desired fonts are installed on all target computers.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
gorc

Post by gorc »

No, I didn't set my new template as default template on then target computer. If not absolutely necessary I don't want to do that as some co-wrokers (and peop'le from outside working for us) are used to their own default styles whne writing documents out of scope of my template(s). I 'd like to force my hierarchy of styles only when my template is used. Therefore I need some kind of "full" template that will behave *like* default template. Possible?

Thx, gorc
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If your template is installed in their template directory then they can select it and use it, but they have to select it - the Default template is exactly that - the default used when nothing is explicitly selected.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

If you're trying to use some styles from a default template on the target computer and other styles from your template, create a new document using the default template, then copy the styles from your template to the newly created document. AFAIK, this can be only be done manually.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04