Telephone Numbers

Using them, Making them, Finding them
Eric Sullivan

Telephone Numbers

Post by Eric Sullivan »

Hi, I am not a natural user of Templates and Wixards I usually give up and start with a blank sheet.

I would like my letter, created from a letter wizzard to show my two telephone numbers in the sender field (right header). I have a number in the user data in each field (I notice there is no Mobile Phone Field either. If I could change the fax symbol to a mobile phone symbol, this would solve my problem.)

However I try it just picks up the one number. I have tried to insert a secod one manually but it comes out in a different font and size. the Thorndale script doesn't appear in the dropdown and the fields seem to be locked anyway. Also in the formatting dialogue, which doesn't seem to do much the list of fonts alphabetically won't go past f.

Is there a way, having got the basic design from the wizard, that I can unlock the whole thing and put in what I want?

Cheers

Eric
Eric Sullivan Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 8
acknak

Re: Telephone Numbers

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!
Eric Sullivan wrote:Hi, I am not a natural user of Templates and Wixards I usually give up and start with a blank sheet.
Same here. This is pretty much my recommendation, too: skip the wizard and just make your own template from scratch.

Right at the start of the wizard, it says: "This wizard helps you to create a letter template. You can then use the template as the basis for writing letters as often as desired."

There's nothing magic about templates. Imagine that you wanted to write your first letter ever, so you start OO and start a new document, type in all the information, format it, and print it. Done. Then, the next time you need to write a letter, instead of starting from scratch, you open the old letter, replace the text that has to change, save it as a new name, and poof, you've saved a lot of time. That's all a template does--it's just a plain document that has all the content and formatting that you want to start out with.

The ONLY thing that's different with a template is that, when you open it, OO starts a new, untitled document, instead of editing the template itself.

Once you create a document from a template, the template itself has no more effect on the document; there's no magic effects of the template on the document; it's just a starting point.

The letter wizard collects your choices and creates a template for you. The resulting template is a rather complex document, using a number of advanced features. When you need to customize it, it's hard to see what to do, especially for a beginner. There's something to be said for just starting from scratch and making your own template. It wouldn't be as flashy, but you know what's in it and how it works.

Anyway, you can make a new template from any open document using File > Templates > Save ...

You can start a document from a template using File > New > Templates and Documents > ...

If you have a template you want to change, use File > Templates > Edit ...
Is there a way, having got the basic design from the wizard, that I can unlock the whole thing and put in what I want?
Right. So you can use File > Templates > Edit ... to open and edit the template created by the wizard. It's just a regular document so you can do anything you want to it.

You can also just start over with a blank page and make your own template, using nothing but plain text. As long as you don't need a fancy layout, the wizard doesn't help all that much and the fancy features in the wizard's template are not necessary.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Eric Sullivan

Re: Telephone Numbers

Post by Eric Sullivan »

Thanks for the reply and the welcome. Looks like my instinct is sound! I will try editing the template as you suggest.
Cheers
Eric
Eric Sullivan Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 8