[Solved] Label Formatting

Using them, Making them, Finding them
Wildfire2099

[Solved] Label Formatting

Post by Wildfire2099 »

Hi everyone! First post... hoping you guys can help, or point me somewhere this answer already exists.

I use return address labels for price tags in our store (the Avery 5167 labels). I was able to find how to generate them, but I'm having difficulty getting the fields to do what I want. Specifically, I want to 'lock' them in place, so that if the text in the field is too long, the extra just drops off, instead of running into the next field. I'm assuming there's an easy button for that, but I can't find it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.0 on Windows 8
acknak

Re: Label Formatting

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

I believe you can do this if you use a table to contain the fields and set the column width & row height to specific sizes. This prevents Writer from changing the table layout and any "extra" text will just be clipped.

Another approach (which seems cleaner to me) is to use a special database query as the data source. You should be able to apply a function to the columns to limit the number of characters (sorry, I don't know the details of how to do that).
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Wildfire2099

Re: Label Formatting

Post by Wildfire2099 »

The Table method worked... I agree the other way sounds more precise, but that's more figuring out than I have time for right now... maybe once I've broken in this new inventory program ;)

Thanks for the help!
OpenOffice 4.0 on Windows 8