Defining where a document is to be saved

Using them, Making them, Finding them
DJC59

Defining where a document is to be saved

Post by DJC59 »

Is there any way that I can set up a template and indicate the default folder where documents created by the template should be saved?

Let me give you an example.

I have a number of letter templates, for when I write official letters. All my letters go into a specific Letters folder. What I would like to be able to do is to say that for these particular templates, when I "Save as..." the default setting will point me to the correct folder automatically. At the moment, when I click on "Save as..." the default setting is always "My Documents" and I then have to select the correct folder.

Is this possible?
Hagar Delest

Re: Defining where a document is to be saved

Post by Hagar Delest »

I don't think it's possible directly but perhaps with a macro. The trick would be to put the save location in a user field (Document Info perhaps) so that the macro can retrieve that location from each template.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Boatman189

Post by Boatman189 »

Putting the template in the same directory works. That what we do. Just open it as you would any file.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The drawback is that since it has not been handled through the template organizer, if you change your template, you won't be warned that it has been changed when you open an already existing document.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10