[Solved] Text Box that can grow?

Using them, Making them, Finding them
dgsarnow

[Solved] Text Box that can grow?

Post by dgsarnow »

I am making a template form for users to complete. One of the fields I want is a text box that can grow based on what my users enter into it. Some will write very little. Other will write a lot. i do not want to create a text box that is huge to accomodate the long writers (as they may write even more than the size I provide).

Does anyone know how to allow a text box or some other form entry control that will allow it to grow and shrink based on the entry?
Last edited by dgsarnow on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.1 | Ubuntu 9.04
squenson
Volunteer

Re: Text Box that can grow?

Post by squenson »

As far as I am concerned, I would HATE a text box that changes size based on the volume of text I type. I type and look at the screen at the same time, and if suddenly the text box would change its size, it would create a really strange effect! :shock:

I suggest that you make your text box large enough and simply make sure that the vertical lift appears when the number of rows is more than the height of the box.

If you ABSOLUTELY want to change the size of the box 'on-the-fly', make a macro that checks that length of the content in the text box, and changes its width and height accordingly, and link this macro to the event "text modified".
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
Hagar Delest

Re: Text Box that can grow?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Insert a Frame (menu Insert>Frame), in the Type tab, in the Size area top left, check the Automatic option for Width.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
tomaszs

Re: [Solved] Text Box that can grow?

Post by tomaszs »

I've followed the advice of Hagar. When i input manually text into the Frame it's automatically resized.
I've put into the Frame text box binded to the Base source. But now Frame is not adjusting size to the multiline text in the Text Box.
Is there any way to do this work or to bind Frame to Base source?
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
tomaszs

Post by tomaszs »

thx
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows 7