Book Manuscript Template

Using them, Making them, Finding them
Cmiller

Book Manuscript Template

Post by Cmiller »

Community Members,

I made a book manuscript for openoffice.org writer for anyone interested in getting published, or author's who are already published. There wasn't anything good on the openoffice.org website (the template was posted there, too), so i made this one. The contents of template are explained in the template itself. Have a great day! :D

*EDIT: I moved the template over to the OpenOffice.org website which you can get here ---> http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/node/8429

Its new and improved, and users will find this one a LOT easier to use. :)
Last edited by Cmiller on Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
OxygenOffice.org version 3.3 on a Windows 7 x64 based systems.
Microsoft 2010 Home & Student
LibreOffice 3.6.2

Have a great day! :)
bmauger

Re: Book Manuscript Template

Post by bmauger »

Ha, so the good news is that my question (http://ooo-forums.apache.org/en/forum/v ... 29&t=48684) has an answer, and the better news is that you have it. How did you get it to prompt to "Edit Field" upon opening your template?
-Bobby
OOo 3.3.0 on Win 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Because it has been saved as a template (.ott). Templates automatically ask for the input field at opening.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Cmiller

Post by Cmiller »

Actually, i realized there were a couple of minor errors in my template. I posted a recent version of the template.
LibreOffice 3.6.2

Cmiller

Post by Cmiller »

bmauger wrote:Ha, so the good news is that my question (http://ooo-forums.apache.org/en/forum/v ... 29&t=48684) has an answer, and the better news is that you have it. How did you get it to prompt to "Edit Field" upon opening your template?
To insert a field as custom text you go to Insert ---> Fields ---> Other

The Next step it to click the functions tab. In the "Type" column choose input field. Then click insert.

Last you have to type the text you want for your custom field. This is a very easy way for you to verify things the next time you want to use your template.
Last edited by RoryOF on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Fixed several typos to aid better searching (RoryOF, Moderator)
LibreOffice 3.6.2

PatrickDickey_102

Post by PatrickDickey_102 »

This might come off as a stupid question (or at least a question that's obvious), but how do you create the next Chapter from the template? Do you just center the heading, and start typing, or is there another method that should be used? Also, what are your recommendations for putting in section headers (if the chapter is divided up into sections)?

Thanks for a great template.

Have a great day:)
Patrick.
Open Office 3.2 installed on Windows 7 Business 32-bit.
Libre Office installed on Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

You press Ctrl+Enter to insert a page break, then just centre the text for the heading. This template doesn't really use the full power of OOo styles, but if you intend to send your manuscript to publishers who want it in MS Word format, that's probably just as well, it will mean less conversion trouble.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
ssarles

Post by ssarles »

Thank you very much for the book template.
Please add formatting for the front matter. This is the most difficult part to do, and I would very much like to rely on a template for it -- because Lulu.com's template is insufficient and I have not been able to make one myself.
What is required is as follows:
First page starts as a right page, with no numbering
there may be pages that need small roman numerals
Chapter One must begin as a right page, and be counted as page one,
but ideally the number would show on chapter page two -- and not before.
It would be acceptable to have page numbers centered in the footer, but
ideally page numbers and text aleternate r and l in headers, but no headers on the first page of each chapter.

There also must be provision for the number of pages in the book to be divisible by 4 -- so some attention to back matter would help too.

In short, I would like to have a book that looks professional by conventional printer standards and have found no template like that. If you could make that for us, it would be a boon and really worth paying for.
Thanks very much.
Open Office 3.1 on Windows Vista
jjmacey

Post by jjmacey »

Hi All,

I've been searching for a Book Manuscript Template, and think I have found an appropriate thread here. I've noticed; however, the thread was started a couple of years ago.

Does anyone have additional help / up-dates to add? Thanks in advance for any comments.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Ubuntu 14.04
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Download the template using the link in the first post. Or go here http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en and search for templates.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
jjmacey

Post by jjmacey »

thomasjk,

Thank you very much for response.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Ubuntu 14.04
andyaye

Post by andyaye »

In 2008 I downloaded a manuscript template and have written a number of books using it.
I recently lost my computers, and my home, and I am looking for the old template.
I notice in this template that a number of things are missing.. i.e. Chapter heading..
indexing ..
Can anyone help me find the old template, or a newer version of it?
Thanks
OpenOffice 4 on Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Perhaps try the link that thomasjk posted above?

A web search for openoffice+manuscript+template may give some more places to look; if you remember the name of the template you could try a search on the name.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers