How do I detach a template?

Using them, Making them, Finding them
mikeopenoffice

How do I detach a template?

Post by mikeopenoffice »

I have a problem with editing a document that I believe is due to the template that is attached to it.

The template was provided by a website that publishes books, so it sets the correct page size, margins etc. There is an option to set headers and footers. I want to do this, but I don't want the hard return lines that automatically appear when the headers and footers are activated.

If I go to format -> page and try to set the header or footer border to <none> this does not take - it keeps resetting to 0.05 pt, presumably the value set in the template.

The template name appears in the document properties.

What I expect I should be able to do is detach the document from the template once it has been created, but I have not been able to find any way to do this, nor any help topics in Open Office or this or other forums for how to detach the template.

I have tried to modify the headers and footers using OpenOffice on both a MAC and Windows 7 PC without success.

If it is not possible to detach the template, is there some way to override the border setting?

I feel this should be obvious - and hope I am just missing something - but I have not come up with an answer so far. Help appreciated.
OpenOffice 3.0.1 on MacOS 10.6.7
rudolfo
Volunteer

Re: How do I detach a template?

Post by rudolfo »

As far as I know there is no way to detach a template from a document. But you can use the Template Changer extension to replace the current template with the default minimal template.
Not exactly sure about the next statement but I think Writer copies the settings from the template into the document. This is to let the document look as it is supposed to be even if it is viewed/opened on a computer that does not have the exotic template that was used on the computer where the document was initially created. It's a bit more complex because Writer realizes when a template of a document has changed and asks you to update the (document) settings from the template.
 Edit: Better make a copy of your document before you modify it with the template changer. The results may not be what you want to have and hence it would be nice if there is still a way back. 
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
acknak

Post by acknak »

If I go to format -> page and try to set the header or footer border to <none> this does not take - it keeps resetting to 0.05 pt, presumably the value set in the template.
When you open your document, does OOo ask if you want to update it from the template?

If not--if OOo does not ask to update the document--then the problem is not coming from the template. There is no active connection that forces a document to follow the template it was created with.

It may be easier to figure out what's going on if you can attach a sample of your document that's having the problem. You can use the "Upload Attachment" link (below the message entry area after you click "POST REPLY"). [Forum] How to attach a document here
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
JohnV
Volunteer

Post by JohnV »

Headers & footers do not have borders others than the light gray ones you see for editing purposes only. These don't print. You can get rid of these as well as the ones that show your margins - do Tools > Options > OOo > Appearance and uncheck Text Boundaries.
Dorée321

Post by Dorée321 »

to the best of my knowledge there is not a way detaching a template from a document. But one can utilize the Template Changer extension to replace the actual template with the default minimal template.

D.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: live link disabled.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Dorée321 wrote:to the best of my knowledge there is not a waydetaching a template from a document. But one can utilize the Template Changer extension to replace the actual template with the default minimal template.

D.

--------------------------
You can create a new document, then use Insert > File to insert the original document into the new document. The template will not be attached to the new document.
Dorée321

Post by Dorée321 »

Thank´s for the hint, Bill.
Have a nice day
D.

-------------------------------------