Multi page booklet

Using them, Making them, Finding them
jmallard

Multi page booklet

Post by jmallard »

I need to produce a twenty page booklet (size A4 folded). Any existing template available? If not, how can I create a multiple of the four page booklet template provided by OO?
OpenOffice 3.1 on MacOS
RoryOF

Re: multi page booklet

Post by RoryOF »

I regularly produce booklets/brochures; I use the following method:

In OpenOffice I set my page size to A5 (US users, use 8.5 x 5.5 inches) and do my layout. By using the correct size for the design there is no problem with text being reduced and becoming illegible. I then Export to PDF, adjusting the page size there to A5 (or US equivalent). Using Adobe Reader I print to a duplex printer, but one can equally tell Acrobat to print all odd or all even pages and invert the print stack and reprint on the other page selection (watch page order - one stack may need to be printed in reverse order). In Reader Print dialogue select "Print booklet", and it handles the sorting into page order.

For me this has the advantage that I can design and layout a book/booklet which in its PDF form will read correctly onscreen yet print out correctly from the same file. By giving it page ranges to print out if a book I can cause it to print out signatures for folding and binding, which has been very useful in cases where I needed to repair a missing section of an old book (adjustment of page sizes to suit).

I use Adobe Reader because it has the "Print Booklet" mechanism built in, and I know its settings. Other PDF readers may not have this. The only drawback of this method, a drawback shared with OOo's print brochure method, is that it does not provide "creep", that is infinitesimal adjustment of the inner or gutter margins to allow for the thickness of the binding signature; Pagemaker and Adobe Indesign do this, but for most non complex layout purposes I use OpenOffice and ignore the absence of "creep". No one has yet noticed!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jmallard

Re: Multi page booklet

Post by jmallard »

Thanks for your detailed tutoring. Now let's get to work!
OpenOffice 3.1 on MacOS