Template Error-Creating new document: xx.stw does not exist

Using them, Making them, Finding them
RonMackintosh

Template Error-Creating new document: xx.stw does not exist

Post by RonMackintosh »

When accessing templates via the new document menue this error message occurs: "Error Creating new a document: <template name>.stw does not exist". This happens immediately I click on (New) "Templates and Documents" even before I can select any specific template.
The ".stw" is an extension for text templates in earlier versions of OO. (now replaced in newer versions by ".ott").
This error refers to multiple early versions of my templates (<template name>.stw) that I have since deleted because they are obsolete. But for some reason the template name still exists in all the template dialogue boxes in the "Organize", "Edit" and "New" Template menues. I have checked in the template folder in the "user" profile and there the templates do not exist. I have even re-created the ofending template (<template name>.stw) in an attempt to delete the template via a different way with no success. The error message still appears, In fact there are additional error messages for each .stw template i create and subsequently delete from the template folder. For some reason ".stw" templates do not have a "delete" option in the template "Comands".
Whenever I use the File>Templates>Organize>(template name)>Commands dialog to manage my templates, the ".stw" templates do not have any "delete" option. All other Templates with ".ott" extensions do have "delete" options.
Whenever I use the File>Templates>Organize>(template name)>Commands dialog to manage my templates, and I select the ".stw" templates (that have been deleted), this error message appears: "Error Expanding Entry: <template name>.stw does not exist". Often when I select "OK" or I close this error message, OpenOffice completely crashes.
There must be some easy way of deleting all reference to previously deleted .stw templates so that OO does not want to keep looking for them each time I try to access any other templates.
OpenOffice Version 3.2.1 Build 9502
Windows XP Pro
Hagar Delest

Re: Template Error-Creating new document: xx.stw does not ex

Post by Hagar Delest »

You can try to reset your OOo user profile but don't transfer your personal data during the welcome process (if you had 2.x before), configuration files from the former version might corrupt the new profile.

NB: I just saw your other post. Perhaps the previous versions of OOo were not good enough at template handling. I created a template and then deleted it and no trace of it afterward in the Hierarchy.xcu file.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10