[Solved] Fixing text position

Using them, Making them, Finding them
frostyboy

[Solved] Fixing text position

Post by frostyboy »

Hi,
I've created a letter template to be printed onto a pre printed letterhead.
It has fields to be filled in, such as Dear 'Recipient'.
To the right side of the page in a tabbed position to line up with Reply to:- on the letterhead I have my name.
Depending on the length of the recipient's name, the position of my name changes to be in the wrong place.
Is there a way I can fix its position so as not to be affected by other typing?
Thank you.
frostyboy
Last edited by frostyboy on Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ope Office 3.1 on WindowsXP
RoryOF

Re: Fixing text position

Post by RoryOF »

Try a Right Tab. Click on the Tab indicator in the ruler, then right click on it and a window will pop up allowing you to select from the various Tab types available. If the recipient's name is extraordinarily long your name will be pushed to the next line, but for most reasonable names it should work.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

This typically happens when you use the default tab stops (indicated by tiny inverted T shapes on the top ruler) and insert multiple tab skips to reach the desired position. An explicit tab setting, as indicated by RoryOF, should fix it (you'll see the default stops vanish to the left of explicitly inserted stops).

Another solution is to insert a text frame for your name. Anchor the frame to paragraph or page, and it should be persistent. Those extraordinarily long names will then wrap to the next line instead of pushing your name down. Which solution is best depends on the rest of your layout, so you just have to try it to decide.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
frostyboy

Post by frostyboy »

Thank you for that.
I looked all through the help files for 'text box' ( old MS user) and found nothing that indicated the text frame command.
The text frame was the perfect solution thank you both.

frostyboy
Ope Office 3.1 on WindowsXP