[Solved] Poor printing quality of logo in template

Using them, Making them, Finding them
sigari

[Solved] Poor printing quality of logo in template

Post by sigari »

hi everyone,
i have just set up a new company and would like to create a template with the company logo in the letter head. we have a brand new, very expensive color laser printer. i have tried to insert my logo in .jpg, .cmyk, .eps. even though i have inserted the logo with 300 dpi, it still came out very crispy. when creating the template with ms word, there is a perfectly clear logo printed out.

i believe Oo downsizes the logo outmatically when printing. what can i do? i have already learned that .eps can't be handled by Oo.

i use Oo 3.2.1 on windows xp. thanks in advance for your help.
sigari
Last edited by sigari on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
open office 3, windows xp
Cambirder
Volunteer

Re: Poor printing quality of logo in letter head of template

Post by Cambirder »

Could you upload a copy of the template here so we can test it?
OOo 3.3 on Windows 7 & 3.2.1 on Mint 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

Exactly how did you insert the logo? How do you know the logo image is 300 dpi?

As far as I know, the only way you can get poor resolution on the printer is if the image in the document does not have adequate resolution. OOo will always output an image at the highest possible resolution.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
sigari

Post by sigari »

We inserted the logo with insert image from file. I hope this is the right translation for the menu points as I am using the German language setup.

We know that it is a 300 dpi image as we exported it from adobe illustrator with 300 dpi. we also tested with 120 dpi, the outcome was exactly the same.
sigari

Post by sigari »

here is the logo 300 dpi and the template in which we inserted the logo. don't bother with the font on the bottom which you might not have. we are just talking about the logo on top of the template
Attachments
BP_def_rgb-02.jpg
AnaxSwiss_def_rgb_txtfuss.dot
(51 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

There may be issues with some versions of the suite when using Microsoft file formats, but I presume you tried with odt/ott format too.

That said, I opened the template with MS Word 2003 and with OOo Writer 3.2.1 and printed on paper. The printed logo looked perfect on both prints (impossible to tell the difference). In other words: on my system it seems that the image is preserved, regardless of which Office suite the template is opened with.

I also printed out the logo, and the barely visible stairstep edges suggest 300dpi as you indicate. Could it be that your print settings are "text only", "draft mode" or something like that (selectable options in the print dialog on most systems)?

How does the logo look on your screen? (Zoom in on the logo to get a view of displayed resolution.)
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

Such a simple logo could be done as a vector graphic, in which case the size & resolution would not matter.
sigari

Post by sigari »

We have conducted several tests now with two different drivers for our printer, which is by the way a Kyocera printer. We found out that the templates we use were originally created in MS Word 2003. So we imported the logo in a brand new .odt file. thats what we found out:

- we printed the template, originally created in MS Word 2003, in OOo with an older driver for our printer: the outcome was best with a logo in cmyk, but still not ideal
- we created a brand new file with .odt and tried it out with the older driver: the outcome with the logo in cmyk was better than with the template that had previously converted from MS Word 2003

so we believe that converting from MS Word 2003 to OOo results in a downsized resolution of the logo.

if we could import it as a vectorized graphic, that outcome would be perfect. but with .esp it does not work. OOo cannot import it. so in what format should the vectorized logo be imported?
acknak

Post by acknak »

OOo handles most metafile graphics (.wmf or .emf) that I've come across, but if I wanted a vector logo for use with OOo, I would just re-create it in OOo Draw. Any graphic conversion is risky.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Here's a Draw document with your logo in vector form, using either
  • Text elements
  • Native OOo drawing objects
  • GDI Metafile
You will probably want to use one of the latter two forms; the text version is mainly useful if you ever needed to change the logo text for some reason.
Attachments
Anax_logo.odg
(74.19 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
sigari

Post by sigari »

thanks a lot for the logos and your precious help. it should work now just fine.