Not saving default template

Using them, Making them, Finding them
triarius

Not saving default template

Post by triarius »

I've read and followed several tutorials on creating styles and templates, and setting a new template and style as default. While I can now create my own styles, I cannot make Writer save any of them as default. When I do, it only lasts for the session. If I quit Writer, then reopen it and create a new document, it reverts to its own default, not the one I created.

I need to get some work done, and I'm so frustrated I'm about to rip this kludge out by the roots and send Microslop money for the latest version of Word (the broken one.) :evil:
Ross
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on Mac OS 10.6
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Not saving default template

Post by floris v »

You should stop mixing up those two. You can save a template and set it as the default template. You can't do the same with styles. MS Word will always save any changes you made in a document based on the Default template, but OOo doesn't. Makes good sense to me, too. So if you want to update the default template, you have to open it and edit it. Period.

And while I perfectly understand your frustration about software not behaving as you expect, you're about the third or fourth person in the forums I visit in a week's time who threaten to buy MS Word. Big mistake, we're all users here, not the sales, marketing or developing department.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
acknak

Re: Not saving default template

Post by acknak »

In case you missed it, here's the tutorial on creating a new default template: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =71&t=1161

Note that you can't open and edit a template--opening a template starts a new document. You must use File > Templates > ..., then select the template to edit.

It's not hard to make this kind of change, but without a doubt, it's harder than it should be. I've used OOo since 1.x and I've never bothered with changing a default template--I don't like tweaking and customizing, so I usually start with a previous document that has the formatting I want and change the text.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23