[Solved] Template Styles linked to one doc

Using them, Making them, Finding them
Araahiel

[Solved] Template Styles linked to one doc

Post by Araahiel »

Hello!

Just a quick question.
Does anyone know of a way to manage how a template's or document's styles are linked to another document? I have about 15 templates that I'd like their styles all to update with a single "style" document, but during the editing process, I fear some of the links have broken.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by Araahiel on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Araahiel
OpenOffice.org3.2.1
OOO320m18 (Build:9502)
Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Template Styles linked to one doc

Post by thomasjk »

Template changer extension http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... atechanger may help.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The only existing link is the template I think. This information is stored in the meta.xml file of the ODF document. The template name is recorded with its time stamp. If the time stamp of the template (in the user profile) is different, then OOo asks for the update of the styles but it just compares the styles name I guess. No other link with styles.

A template also has a template set in its meta.xml file, but I made a quick test and it seems that if you change the template (A) used to make another template (B), the only way to get the new styles to update is to edit the template (B) so that OOo detects that it should be changed according to the changes made in A. If you create a document from B, it won't check the link with A.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Araahiel

Post by Araahiel »

Thanks a bunch.
I can't seem to figure out how the extension works. I installed it, but I'm not sure how to use its functions, and I can't find any explanations anywhere. Still messing around with it though.

As for the meta.xml files; I'm not sure I'm brave enough to go messing around with those. They are going to be on multiple computers across the state on even more profiles. I'll just have to live with the way it is. It's not that bad to go and fix each template, probably is the better way to deal with any styles changes. It's not as important now that I'm not going to be using them in a master document.

Thank you again!
~Araahiel
OpenOffice.org3.2.1
Araahiel

Post by Araahiel »

Follow up:

I finally found documentation that explains the basics of the extension! Now I've got it working and everything is linked up correctly.
The explanation is in http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... e_template as method 2. I found it while printing out manuals for a training on templates and styles.
~Araahiel
OpenOffice.org3.2.1