[Solved] Import MS Word templates

Using them, Making them, Finding them
kblume

[Solved] Import MS Word templates

Post by kblume »

Hi,

I am gradually weaning myself off MS Office. I would like to replace the OOo ‘My templates’ with the MS Word ‘My templates’ folder. Where does ‘Writer‘ keep the ‘My Templates’ folder? How can I place all my MS Word templates into the ‘Writer‘ template folder?

Thanks,

Klaus
Last edited by kblume on Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
StarOffice 3, MacOS X 10.6.4
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Import MS Word templates

Post by Zizi64 »

I think, is not a good idea to replace OOo .ott files to MS .dot files. (Because maybe you will take some compatibility problems)
In my opinion you need to create your own .ott files if the existing templates not appropriate for you.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

+1. You can open the MS templates, but it's better to start from scratch. Just entering the formatting information again isn't that much work, and you prevent conversion problems. You can find the templates folder in Tools - Options - Paths.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Beware, not to do manual operations in that template folder. Always use the File>Templates>Organize (or Save, or Edit) to register the templates.

Better start from scratch also as advised to avoid keeping formatting remaining from the .dot import.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
kblume

Post by kblume »

Thanks all,

I get the drift..., ‘start from scratch.‘ Maybe that gives me a chance to weed out the templates I no longer need.

Cheers,

Klaus
StarOffice 3, MacOS X 10.6.4