[Solved] Does Writer Save Preferences in Default Template?

Using them, Making them, Finding them
DaleSmith

[Solved] Does Writer Save Preferences in Default Template?

Post by DaleSmith »

I'm having trouble with Microsoft Word at work because it saves user preferences like the menu set up to the normal.dot file - we want to use a single normal.dot file to ensure everybody has the same set up for their documents.

I want to recommend that we just switch over the OpenOffice as a cheap and easy fix for the problem, but I don't know if it has the same problem: does Writer save any non-template information to its default template? Or do changes to menu layout and the like get saved somewhere else?

We all use XP, if that makes any difference by the way.

Cheers for any help

Dale
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
acknak

Re: Does Writer Save Preferences to the Default Template?

Post by acknak »

Customization that a user can do is all over the map: some settings are saved as at the application level, some at the document level. What's more, it's impossible (in most cases) to tell what a particular setting will affect.

Menus and keyboard settings are only application-level; user-created toolbars can be saved either in a document or application-wide.

However, if you want to make a custom configuration for your entire site, you don't want to use the Tools > Options or Tools > Customize features at all. There are other methods available to administrators for doing site-wide customizations. See the Admin Guide for some suggestions: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... tion_Guide
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
DaleSmith

Re: Does Writer Save Preferences to the Default Template?

Post by DaleSmith »

Cheers - very helpful!Sounds like it might be a viable solution to fix the problem we're having - I'll take a look at the Admin Guide though.

Dale
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista