Is there a "Do's and Don't's in creating Templates" around?

Using them, Making them, Finding them
scsijon

Is there a "Do's and Don't's in creating Templates" around?

Post by scsijon »

Hi, have looked through ther various sites mentioned in the top topic by Hagar, but can't see anything like what I want so I am asking here.

I will soon need to create a set of templates (about 20 I think for the project) and would like to do them properly the first time, as I suspect they will need to be changed, and I would rather just modify an existing rather than starting all again.

thanks in advance for any responses

scsijon
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Puppy Linux v4
Hagar Delest

Re: Is there a "Do's and Don't's in creating Templates" arou

Post by Hagar Delest »

I would say: create the styles you may need in the documents based on those templates. Applying styles is quick and that feature is very robust in OOo. So better configure them finely in the templates.

Note that if you've modified a style in a template, if you open a document based on that template before it has been changed, OOo detects the change and asks if you want to update the document according to the new template.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
JohnV
Volunteer

Re: Is there a "Do's and Don't's in creating Templates" arou

Post by JohnV »

Note that if you've modified a style in a template, if you open a document based on that template before it has been changed, OOo detects the change and asks if you want to update the document according to the new template.
This assumes that you save the template with File > Templates > Save which puts it in OOo default template directory. So that's a "Do".