Designing an envelope template with borders

Using them, Making them, Finding them
DWFII

Designing an envelope template with borders

Post by DWFII »

I have an old version of WordPerfect (v.10) and I've been using WP for years. I am not an expert on it but I have managed through dogged persistance and help from forums to create a number of custom templates and macros.

I recently migrated to Win7 pro x64.

Naturally WordPerfect is not so perfect on this platform.

I have been fooling with OO for a couple of years and am thinking that it would just be simpler to dump WP and recreate everything in OO.

One of the first things I would like to re-create is my stationary and envelopes. The attached image...the border specifically...illustrates what I am trying to achieve both on the stationary and envelope.
envelope.PNG
The corner elements were designed as separate elements, placed and rotated in the template and then the lines...thick and thin were added.

I admit that with WordPerfect at hand I have not taken the time to work through this problem in OO. When I first got Oo several years ago, I did manage to duplicate the border on letter sized paper but the corner elements were too large and, as I recall there was some problem with the lines positioning. Additionally, I remember having trouble entering text into the resulting template...as if a text frame were needed within the border. But I don't remember how I went about it and I never did resolve the problems.

I also had one other problem with the envelope. Wordperfect allows text, borders etc. to be micro adjusted for position in the format or printing dialogs so that if the border on th envelope is not centered correctly, it can be adjusted. i wonder how OO handles these kinds of probelms.

PS...I DL'd and installed the latest stable version of OO on my Win7 machine a couple of days ago.

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (Hagar, Moderator).
Open Office 3.3 on Win7 Pro x64
acknak

Re: can it be done?

Post by acknak »

OOo supports only plain-line page borders, but it can use an image as the page background; you can prepare the border as a background image and configure that as the page background.

Or, with more effort, you can place graphic elements or images around the edges of the page to make the border.

What OOo cannot do is automatically construct a border from separate elements (corners, sides), scaling and placing them to create a page border.

For more info, including an issue for this, see: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =6&t=22401

Here's a thread with an example (in Draw) and a link to another (in Writer): http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 11&t=19771
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

Thanks for the response.

OK, if I can't compose a border from disparate elements, can I "import" a graphic composed of the entire border, position it on the page and then create a text frame within the border so that a normal business letter can be entered?

Can I save this as a template with a formal return address and a date/time update and then open it with these elements in place and current (date) every time I want to send out correspondence?

Also, about print adjustments...?
Open Office 3.3 on Win7 Pro x64
acknak

Post by acknak »

Whatever you do to make the border can be saved as a template that you can use to start any letter with. Any material in the template will be copied to the new letters you make from the template.
acknak

Re: Designing an envelope template with borders

Post by acknak »

Hello, and welcome to the Community Forum!

Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "print adjustments."

Unless your problem is exactly the same as the one in the original post here, it's best to just start a new thread: click on a link to some area of the forum (for example, this area: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... m.php?f=29), then click on the "NEW TOPIC" button and type in your question.

In any case, be sure to explain clearly what you're trying to do and what you've tried so far.