Questions about creating templates

Using them, Making them, Finding them
eyore15

Questions about creating templates

Post by eyore15 »

Just found this (I'm a newbie) so am posting here; please excuse the cross-thread from previous post.

Working with templates

Postby eyore15 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:54 pm
Question #1 I have completed my first attempt at creating a default template. I followed the instructions and it went well. I decided I wanted a second template with MLA standards (spacing, margins) and built that one. I made my first template the default. I thought I would be able to choose between templates if needed by going through "file" >> "new" >> "templates and docs". The problem is, the category "my templates" does not appear. All the other categories (budget, education, finances, etc) are there, just not "my templates". (1) Why doesn't "my templates" show up under "templates and docs"? (2) How can I have different templates to choose from besides the one I make the default?

Question #2 After I saved the template I then set as my default template, I thought I might go back and make changes. I figured it would act like a file -- save the new file with the changes under the same file name (perhaps with a dialogue box cautioning me that the file name already existed). I couldn't make that work. I had to save the template under a new name. How can I edit a template and keep the name the same?

Thanks in Advance

mcm

mark c. miller

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases your chances of a reply. (TheGurkha, Moderator)
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 8.x
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Questions about creating templates

Post by TheGurkha »

Just found this (I'm a newbie) so am posting here; please excuse the cross-thread from previous post.
The easy thing for you would have been to ask a Moderator to move the thread, but no problem. I've removed your 'old' thread.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
acknak

Re: Questions about creating templates

Post by acknak »

For future threads, please try to make it one specific question per topic--it gets very confusing to discuss different problems in the same thread. These are related, so we'll keep them together.
... (1) Why doesn't "my templates" show up under "templates and docs"? (2) How can I have different templates to choose from besides the one I make the default?
Did you save the template documents using File > Templates > Save?

Template documents are just plain files, and you can work with the files directly, but some useful template features will not work when you do that. To get the full template behavior, you have to manage the template documents through File > Templates > Save/Edit/Organize.

If you did use File > Templates > Save, then it's possible that you'll have to completely exit OOo (including the Quickstarter in the system tray) and re-start, in order to force the template registrations.

Note that, when you open File > New > Templates and Documents, the default view is "My Templates"--it does not appear as a separate item in the left-hand panel. If you click on the "go up" arrow above the list of templates, then "My Templates" is visible as one of the available template locations (folders).
...How can I edit a template and keep the name the same?
Once you get a template document properly saved and registered, you can edit the template using File > Templates > Edit to pick a specific file, or File > Templates > Organize > (pick) > Commands > Edit, to pick a specific template by name.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23