[Solved] Can't download single templates

Using them, Making them , Finding them

[Solved] Can't download single templates

Postby dsdolphinspirit » Sat May 23, 2009 6:43 pm

I started going through Beginning OpenOffice 3 by Channelle yesterday. In using the path of File>New>Templates and Documents in order to Add More Templates for a book project, I come to the http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... cid=920794 page to download a Writer template. Clicking "Get It" for any one, I get a white screen. I am using OO 3.1,XP SP2, IE 7.

Today, I find it interesting that by going through Tools> Extension Manager> to Get More Extensions I come to the screen http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... my/term/36 where I then click "Templates" on the left side which allows me to pick and start the process to download Professional Templates Pack II - a collection of 120 templates. The "Get It" icon now works. I stopped it because because I only want one to be begin with. I retried the above paragraph with the same results. Any solutions?
Last edited by dsdolphinspirit on Wed May 27, 2009 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.1.X on Ms Windows XP
dsdolphinspirit

Re: Can't download single templates

Postby TheGurkha » Sat May 23, 2009 6:53 pm

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Whether I go through the File > New > Templates and Documents or click directly on your link, I get to the extensions web page, pick any extension and click on the name of it (Numbertext for example) and that takes me to the page for that template. I then click on the 'Get It!' button and it is downloaded to my PC.

To install it, do Tools > Extension Manager > Add.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Postby dsdolphinspirit » Sat May 23, 2009 7:42 pm

In responce to TheGurkha, your method didn't not work in the final step. I still got a white screen.
dsdolphinspirit

Postby Hagar Delest » Sat May 23, 2009 9:08 pm

Try with a real web browser like Firefox.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby TheGurkha » Sat May 23, 2009 9:16 pm

I've tried with:

Firefox 3.0.10
Chrome 2.0.181.1
IE 8 8.0.6001.18702

With no issues.
Gurkha Welfare Trust
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Postby dsdolphinspirit » Sun May 24, 2009 6:01 am

For TheGurkha, loading IE8 did away with the white screens. For some reason, half of the template is now displayed. I did away with the Favorite Toolbar and I was able to see the whole page for a while. In looking around, it went back to half screen display. In looking to see if the template was downloaded so OO could get it, it wasn't. Any help would be appriciated despite it being outside of OO.
dsdolphinspirit

Postby TheGurkha » Sun May 24, 2009 3:53 pm

Without being in front of your PC, it's difficult to tell.

What is your screen resolution set to?
Gurkha Welfare Trust
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Postby dsdolphinspirit » Sun May 24, 2009 8:34 pm

I downloaded Firefox and things seems to work. Met a IT professional at church today and said that IE8 has "issues". It looked like I received an incentive to switch to Firefox. I stayed with IE because non IT friends use me as a resource.

In downloading a template, I received two options. 1. To open in OO. It is stored in DocumentsandSettings/User/local settings/temp. 2. To Save. It saves it to the desktop (can't change this it seems. Is there a way though?) and then be Opened by OO.
Choosing Tools> Extension Manager from the Menu Bar I then select Add (according to the book). In order to get at the Desktop template file, I had to change "Files of Type" from Extension to *.*. When I try to open the file, I get the error "can not detect media-type file 'path of file/06_business_letter_ott'." In the Channelle book,he talked about an extension of .oxt. Could this be the cause?
dsdolphinspirit

Postby TheGurkha » Mon May 25, 2009 12:27 pm

.ott is a template, .oxt is an extension. They are quite different things. A template allows you to create documents from it, an extension adds some functionality to OOo.
Gurkha Welfare Trust
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Postby dsdolphinspirit » Tue May 26, 2009 11:03 pm

On P. 12, A Word About Templates, the OpenOffice 3 book by Channelle is VERY misleading. He talks about first downloading a template and then going through Tools>Extension Manager to Add it to OO. As stated in the prev post, the file types are wrong. After doing some research, the only way one could add a template to OO is to first download it through File>New>templates and documents. The file is downloaded to the desktop. It seems this can't be changed.
Then in writer, you first click Open and then locate template from desktop. Then you do File>Templates>Save to get to the OO system directory where templates are.

How does one download templates or any file to a download folder of one choosing. I really looked but to no avail.
dsdolphinspirit

Postby Hagar Delest » Tue May 26, 2009 11:19 pm

dsdolphinspirit wrote:How does one download templates or any file to a download folder of one choosing.

Your web browser configuration will handle the destination folder. Then, see here: [Solved] Move the Templates folder somewhere else. Make the web browser download the files in the user profile (or keep it downloaded on your desktop and move it afterwards) and then use the File>Templates>Organize>Commands>Update feature, it should work.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby TheGurkha » Tue May 26, 2009 11:27 pm

Try the OOo documentation: OpenOffice.org 3 User Guides.
Gurkha Welfare Trust
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Return to Templates