[Solved] Newbie question on creating templates

Using them, Making them, Finding them
PhilipN

[Solved] Newbie question on creating templates

Post by PhilipN »

Hello all,
I seemed to have solved my problem. When I start open office the using the GUI startup menu if I select "open a document" the File/Templates/Save the command Save is greyed out and inactive. If I use create text document then the Save command is available.
Thanks

Philip
Last edited by PhilipN on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + fedora
acknak

Re: Newbie question on creating templates

Post by acknak »

Do you have any of your own templates saved? Or, is this the first one you've tried to save?

Check the templates path, set under Tools > Options > OO.org > Paths > Templates: does the value there look "reasonable"?

You can try a profile reset ([Tutorial] The OOo user profile); I can't think of anything more specific to check.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
PhilipN

Post by PhilipN »

Thanks for the quick reply.
This is my first attempt at creating and saving a template. The path looks OK to me. It is C:\Documents and Settings\philipn\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\template.
I changed the settings in Explorer to show hidden files wich means I can manipulate the files at least now and get them into the correct directory. When I first saved the file I changed the second letter of the extension to t as described in the tutorial. Now it is in the expected directory but when I open the file using the open template file button on the startup screen, the file opens but the File/Templates/Save command is still greyed out. Does this mean that my file is not a template?
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + fedora
acknak

Post by acknak »

Changing the spelling of the file name does not make the document into a template.

You have to use File > Templates > Save, or use File > Save As and select a template document type.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See also: [Solved] Problem with pattern (in German=Vorlage)

Basically, use the File>Templates>Organize dialog, don't put it directly in the profile.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10