Generating Filenames by a field in the query

Using them, Making them , Finding them

Generating Filenames by a field in the query

Postby leeand00 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:53 pm

In Mail Merge, I am trying to generate a bunch of ODT files from a Database Query.

Here is what I do:

1. I click the File radio button.
2. Under "Save Merged Document", I select "Save as individual documents"
3. Check "Generate file name from Database"
4. Select my Query from the list of Queries

But when I attempt to select the "Field" in my query, which generates the File name, the list is empty...

Why is this? It worked in previous versions of OOo.

(I'm using 3.0.1 (Build: 8378) by the way).

(also of note, I'm using an ODB file that was generated in a previous version of OOo (2.x))

Thank you,
Andrew J. Leer
Last edited by leeand00 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
leeand00

Re: Generating Filenames by a field in the query

Postby leeand00 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:21 am

Never mind, it's not what I thought it was, but it is a bug that needs to be fixed!!!!

I had some pre-existing templates which as I stated before I created in a previous version of OpenOffice.

Upon opening these templates I discovered that the field names were pointing at an incorrect OOo registered data-source: job_db.

The correct data-source was job_db_dev. So I did the logical thing and right-clicked on all of the field-names and selected "Fields..." from the context menu.

In the context menu, I reselected the correct query from the job_db_dev registered datasource. This should have resulted in the fields being updated, but instead the dropdown box that I spoke of previously was still not populated (maybe because it was still pointing to the "job_db" datasource for some reason). Also the documents that I did get to generate (abid one at a time of course) had no populated data fields within them.

So the solution to this was to re-drag all of the datasource back into the document from their field names in the resulting data display of selecting View->Data Sources or pressing F4.

This really seems like a bug to me...so I think that we should file a bug report where ever it is that you file a bug report for OpenOffice 3.
leeand00

Re: Generating Filenames by a field in the query

Postby leeand00 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:07 am

leeand00

Return to Templates