Outline Template

Using them, Making them, Finding them
frijolie

Outline Template

Post by frijolie »

Hey all,

I'm trying to create a template where I can take notes on lectures, text book readings, and other academic related information. Currently, I have a working template but have not been able to accomplish everything that I am looking for. I have attached my current template and would like any help, feedback, and criticism.

First, I don't know if a word processor the proper application to perform the functions that I am looking for. I am open to other alternatives if they're available. I have used Microsoft's OneNote in the past, and that worked pretty well for my purposes. However, I am no longer a Windows guy (I'm now a Linux exclusive) so that's not an option. I also have explored other 'note taking' options (e.g. mind mapping, Tomboy, Evernote, etc..) within my distro-o-choice. All to no success. So, I guess I'm back to square one and the drawing board.

My ideal outline would appear like this:

Code: Select all

I. Heading 1
  A. Heading 2
    1. Text Body (Sometimes)
    2. Definition Term (Heading 3) - Text body style [sometimes]
    3. Heading 3 (Sometimes)
      a. Text Body
        1. Text body
      b. Heading 4 (sometimes)
      c. Definition Term - definition (text body style) [sometimes]
etc...

I would like to have the level headings change as use requires. Sometimes I would like to have a definition term and response, sometimes just plain text, other times a new heading. I do not know of a way where I can accomplish this task. Maybe I need to start from scratch? I haven't really found a solution. All I can find are workarounds.

I have read in a previous posting about 'in-line' headings for my definitions. But that isn't really user-friendly and seems to require a macro.

Here's what I've got working so far (see attached). Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Attachments
Class Notes Outline.ott
My current template
(12.17 KiB) Downloaded 793 times
OOo 3.1.2 on Ubuntu 10.04
Hagar Delest

Re: Outline Template

Post by Hagar Delest »

Well, since you don't use the outline numbering feature, no credit at all for me!

Note that the in line headings need the use of the outline numbering. Installing a macro is not that difficult: [Tutorial] How to install a code snippet.

For the definition, see that thread for example: [Solved] Looking for a Description List style.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
StephenW

Post by StephenW »

Hi,
It would seem that much of what you want could be developed by using a combination of headings, creating new paragraph styles, keyboard shortcuts, and the of the navigator. I'm currently developing a Book Writing template which uses, or will use, some of the features you are describing. My template is still in development, and only an early draft version is posted in the Open Office templates website. If this sounds interesting to you, I could help you walk through the process.

Best Wishes,
Stephen
Stephen
OOo 3.2.X on MS Windows Vista + Windows XP
surfperch

Post by surfperch »

Thank you. I'll try it for my Historiography Essay assignment.

V/r,
OpenOffice 3.2
Windows XP