Customised "footnotes" (on the right side of the page)

Using them, Making them, Finding them
sam mlami

Customised "footnotes" (on the right side of the page)

Post by sam mlami »

Hello Everyone,

I'm writing text where the body text appear on the left side of the page and the "footnotes" on the right side. I have set up a document, orientated the page in landscape, set the page to the left hand side (for the body text) and set a field for the right hand side (for the "footnotes"). So far so good

My problem: I've added Numbers to the sentences in the body text which I would like to footnote, but so far I am manually adding these footnotes (and their numbers) in the field which corresponds to the page. But as this is manual, when I change the position of the sentence in the body text, the numbering does not update in the field (as it would do if i was using the conventional footnote or endnote function).

I thought that 'cross-referencing' might be a way to do this, but I can't figure it out. I would be super grateful for any tips.

PS. Hopefully the attached screen grab makes it clearer
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-10-13 at 17.31.04a.jpg
OpenOffice (4.1.6) running on MacBook Pro (10.15.7)
RoryOF

Re: Customised "footnotes" (on the right side of the page)

Post by RoryOF »

Some years ago Hanya wrote a routine to convert regular footnotes into sidenotes. This is at

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=43956&p=203498&hil ... es#p211001

You might be able to customise this to place the notes as you require.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
sam mlami

Re: Customised "footnotes" (on the right side of the page)

Post by sam mlami »

Hi RoryOF - many thanks for your tip. I've had a look thru the thread above (viewtopic.php?f=45&t=43956&p=203498&hil ... es#p211001) but my Mac crashes whenever I try to 'run Macros'.

I read in the Mac Tutorial thread (viewtopic.php?f=74&t=89283) that this could be to do with the user, so I changed the User but no luck..

Sorry, I know this probably super basic butI would be very grateful for any tips you might have.
OpenOffice (4.1.6) running on MacBook Pro (10.15.7)