[Solved] More templates are needed

Using them, Making them, Finding them
albiek1976

[Solved] More templates are needed

Post by albiek1976 »

I use about a half dozen templates from OpenOffice but I can't find any that allow a person to journal medical information in a week/day by day log that can be saved for personal use or take to the Doctor's office. I'd also would like to see one for vitals, health and exercise that would have comments tailored for their needs. Mental health journaling spreadsheets and word processing would be nice. I know I'm rambling. Thanks for a great program!!
Last edited by albiek1976 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OpenOffice™ version 4.1.11 on Microsoft Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: More templates are needed

Post by John_Ha »

For a text document template

1. Create a document which is exactly what you want
2. File > Save As > choose Template.

You now have a new template (a .ott file for a document) which does exactly what you want.

See Chapter 10 Working with Templates in the Writer User Guide. You can similarly create templates for Calc etc.

NB. I am pretty certain that you can rename a text document like fred.odt to fred.ott and it becomes a template.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Last edited by John_Ha on Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
albiek1976

Post by albiek1976 »

I tried to make templates. That is something that is not in my ability to do. Thanks for suggesting !!
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I tried to make templates. That is something that is not in my ability to do. Thanks for suggesting !!
What features or properties you need in the new templates?

More styles? (Which type of styles: Character styles, Paragraph styles, Pages styles, etc...?)
Modified styles?
Some pre-filled contents (in the header, footer, etc...)?
Watermarks on the pages?
A set of style-structure for the Table Of Contents?
Etc...?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
albiek1976

Post by albiek1976 »

I just want the information mentioned. I may try again and find what I want in the non-template form, and design it to my satisfaction. Then, I may submit it on the template page so other people can have it. I'll need to read more up on what are macros and other features before I reattempt making a template.
Thanks for opening my mind up to other ideas.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

albiek1976 wrote: I'll need to read more up on what are macros and other features before I reattempt making a template.
NO, please don't. Nobody needs any macros for useful templates. You will not get your head around macros unless you are a professional programmer or an enthusastic hobby programmer at least. Even then, macros are the best way to not get things done due to mere frustration.
Styles make the difference between good and bad templates.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

albiek1976 wrote:I may try again
1. Create a document which is exactly what you want
2. File > Save As > choose Template.
albiek1976 wrote:I'll need to read more up on what are macros and other features before I reattempt making a template.
You don't need macros. Just create a text document to be what you want.

I created fred.ott for you to play with. Edit it and File > Save as Template. Note how, when you open it, the document is not called fred - it is called Untitled. That is because it is a template.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
fred.ott
(9.03 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.