[Solved] Copying text between sheets

Using them, Making them, Finding them
i75Dave

[Solved] Copying text between sheets

Post by i75Dave »

I have a three sheet spreadsheet application and need to copy text entered in column A on Sheet1, to the same positions on Sheet2 and Sheet3.

For example, Sheet1 column A is a text column where I enter the names of students. Columns B-L contain numeric data for each student.
If I add a new student name to the foot of the name listing in Sheet1: column A, I would like it to be added to the student column A list on Sheets 2 & 3.

Is there a function for handling the copying of text between sheets?
Thanks for any help.
Dave
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Win 7 64bit
FJCC

Re: Copying text between sheets

Post by FJCC »

The easiest way to do this is to enter a formula in column A of Sheet2 and Sheet3. In A2, the formula would be

Code: Select all

=Sheet1.A2
You can then copy that down as far as you like. It will show a blank cell until the corresponding cell on Sheet1 is filled.

Formulas cannot push information into another cell. A macro could be written to push information from Sheet1 to the other sheets but writing that would take you far longer than hand copying the data and the formula above is even quicker.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
i75Dave

Re: Copying text between sheets

Post by i75Dave »

Hello FJCC,
A double thank you. The "Sheet1.A2" approach works perfectly.
And thank you for your fast response.
Both very much appreciated.
Dave
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Win 7 64bit