UNO and multiple connections from different computers

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
Donald67

UNO and multiple connections from different computers

Post by Donald67 »

Hello,

we´re planning to use OO in "server mode" - using the UNO API - to convert documents (MS Word, Images, text, ...) to PDF

Are there any problems expected if we use *one* OO with multiple connections/"clients"?
The PDF conversion within one computer works fine but we want to share one "OO-converter" for many computers
It must be safe that there is no mixing of documents ;-)
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows Server / OpenOffice 3.2 on Ubuntu 9.04
hol.sten
Volunteer

Re: UNO and multiple connections from different computers

Post by hol.sten »

Donald67 wrote:Are there any problems expected if we use *one* OO with multiple connections/"clients"?
As you can read in many, many threads in OOo forums there are problems to expect: OOo will crash or block any UNO API calls without doing anything. Sometimes these problems occur after several thousand document conversions, sometimes much more often. Although these problems occur even with using only one connection at a time, the frequency increases with multiple connections. I cannot recommend doing anything like that.
OOo 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 • OOo 3.2.1 on Windows 7 64-bit and MS Windows XP
Donald67

Post by Donald67 »

Thanx for the information...I guess I didn´t use the right keywords in the search string
Do you know if the OO-developers are working on this specific problem or is it "low priority"?
hol.sten
Volunteer

Post by hol.sten »

Donald67 wrote:Do you know if the OO-developers are working on this specific problem or is it "low priority"?
Due to the fact that problems like these occur since OOo 1.x I would say it has no priority :-(
OOo 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 • OOo 3.2.1 on Windows 7 64-bit and MS Windows XP
Donald67

Post by Donald67 »

so the UNO interface does´nt seem to be very reliable :-( Hmm, ok...