[Calc][Writer] Batch search and replace.

Shared Libraries
Forum rules
For sharing working examples of macros / scripts. These can be in any script language supported by OpenOffice.org [Basic, Python, Netbean] or as source code files in Java or C# even - but requires the actual source code listing. This section is not for asking questions about writing your own macros.
Sébastien C

[Calc][Writer] Batch search and replace.

Post by Sébastien C »

Hello everyone,

For countless reasons, batch changes may have to be made in text documents. This is valid, for example, when anonymizing a document is required.

"theDupontDurand.odt" is an example of text with some typographic formatting. The example suggests that the names of persons and places should be replaced, for example before being communicated to a third party.

The file "batchSearchReplace.ods" contains the data to replace and TWO buttons to go in a direction of replacement, or its reciprocal. We act on a Writer file that can be chosen from a drop-down list and a button allows you to refresh the names and addresses of Writer files if their openings are made after the Calc file.

The macro offer the advantage of a talking beetween documents specific to Open/LibreOffice but whose nature is different. Here, Calc is used almost as a dialog box that would allow to enter a very large amount of data that Writer makes use of. And, to do this, it also makes the inventory of open files and on which it can act. Knowledge of this principle can bring good fruits in other situations than this one. The modules of the office suite are already very powerful; But the relationship that can be established between them really multiplies the possibilities that macros allow. I have already treated the subject elsewhere in another context (DrawCalc); But it's in French. I do a translation (bad, I know :roll: ) if asked...

:)
The Code :

Code: Select all

Option Explicit

' ╔══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
' ║ Find and replace instances in text files "Writer".                           ║█
' ╚══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝█
'  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Sub batchSearchReplace(evt)
 Dim             myDocumentS As Object, myDocument As Object, theCollection As Object
 Dim                 mySheet As Object,     myForm As Object,       replace As Object
 Dim myReplacements(1, 1000) As String,   myString As String,      myButton As String
 Dim                       i As Integer,            j As Integer

mySheet = thisComponent.currentController.ActiveSheet                    ' All occurrences are stored in memory.
   myForm = mySheet.drawPage.forms.getByName("myForm")
 myString = mySheet.getCellByPosition(1, 13).String
 myButton = evt.source.model.name
        i = 0

While myString <> ""                                                      ' Loop as long as a cell is not empty.
  myReplacements(0, i) = myString
  myReplacements(1, i) = mySheet.getCellByPosition(2, 13 + i).String
                     i = i + 1
              myString = mySheet.getCellByPosition(1, 13 + i).String
 Wend

theCollection = starDesktop.components.createEnumeration                  ' Search for open files which replacements should be done.

On Error Goto Next_1:                                                     ' In order to avoid pseudos empty windows.
 While theCollection.hasMoreElements
  myDocumentS = theCollection.nextElement

If myDocumentS.url = convertToURL(mySheet.getCellRangeByName("$B$10").String) Then
   myDocument = myDocumentS
   myDocumentS.currentController.frame.getContainerWindow.setFocus
   Next_1:
  End If      
 Wend

replace = myDocument.CreatereplaceDescriptor()                            ' Effective replacement.

For j = 0 to (i - 1)
  With replace
   Select Case myButton                                                    ' Direction of replacement.
    Case "B_to_C" : .searchString = myReplacements(0, j) : .replaceString = myReplacements(1, j)
    Case "C_to_B" : .searchString = myReplacements(1, j) : .replaceString = myReplacements(0, j)
   End Select

Select Case myForm.getByName("regExpress"   ).state                     ' Regular expression required.
    Case 0 : .searchRegularExpression = False
    Case 1 : .searchRegularExpression = True
   End Select

Select Case myForm.getByName("caseSensitive").state                     ' Case sensitive required.
    Case 0 : .searchCaseSensitive     = False
    Case 1 : .searchCaseSensitive     = True
   End Select
  End With

myDocument.replaceAll (replace())
 Next j
End Sub

' ╔══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
' ║ List Open Files.                                                             ║█
' ╚══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝█
'  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Sub listOpenFiles As String
 Dim   myDocumentS As Object, theCollection As Object, mySheet As Object
 Dim             i As Integer,            j As Integer, myLine As Integer
 Dim nameFile(255) As String
 Dim        B10_OK As Boolean

theCollection = starDesktop.components.createEnumeration
       mySheet = thisComponent.currentController.ActiveSheet
        B10_OK = False
             i = 0 : myLine = 3

On Error Goto Next_2:                                                     ' In order to avoid pseudos empty windows.
 While theCollection.hasMoreElements
  myDocumentS = theCollection.nextElement
                                                                           ' Avoids the macro IDE and help windows.
  If ((  len(myDocumentS.url    ) <> 0                     ) And _
      ( left(myDocumentS.url, 20) <> "vnd.sun.star.help://") And _
      (right(myDocumentS.url, 4 )  = ".odt")                     _
     ) Then
   i = i + 1
   nameFile(i) = convertFromUrl(myDocumentS.url)
                                                                           ' The $B$10 cell contains the file address.
   If mySheet.getCellRangeByName("$B$10").String = nameFile(i) Then B10_OK = True
   Next_2:
  End If
 Wend

If (i >= 0) Then                                                          ' The opposite happens when no file is opened.
  Redim Preserve nameFile(i)                                               ' Resize the table for the drop-down list.
  For j = 1 to i
   mySheet.getCellByPosition(4, myLine + j - 1).String = nameFile(j)       ' Effective allocation.
  Next j
 End If

For j = i + 1 to i + 30                                                   ' Emptying Cells Beneath.
  mySheet.getCellByPosition(4, myLine + j - 1).String = ""
 Next j

If Not B10_OK Then mySheet.getCellRangeByName("$B$10").String = ""        ' Dump the $B$10 cell if its value was not found in the list.
End Sub
Attachments
theDupontDurand.odt
(11.5 KiB) Downloaded 370 times
batchSearchReplace.ods
(15.79 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
LibreOffice v. 7.3.2.2, under GNU-Linux Mint and, in virtualization and just for tests, LibreOffice v. 7.3.2.2 an OpenOffice v. 4.1.12 under M$-W 10 :ouch: .