Failing Scripts - New to Forum

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
reed303

Failing Scripts - New to Forum

Post by reed303 »

I have a spreadsheet with macros/scripts that has worked properly for several years, but now the scripts fail with this message:
A Scripting Framework error occurred while running the UNKNOWN script UNKNOWN

This s/s is used to keep scores in an annual school contest.It was created 8 years ago by others in Excel. For the last 6 years I have edited the team and event names each year. 2 of 3 scripts are used to sort and resort the final score. Until last year I was able to do the editing in Open Office on my desktop Mac, save the s/s as a .XLS, and then run/use it at the event on a Windows laptop with Excel.

This year while doing the editing and testing my edits, I found that all 3 scripts fail in Open Office. BUT they continue to work in Excel ( and LIbre )

Mac OS is latest Mojave 10.14.5, O/O is 4.1.6, Libre is 6.0.6.2
Windows is.a brand new Win 10 w/ latest Excel
S/S is always edited and saved in .XLS format

My suspicion is that a recent update to O/O has created this issue.

Is there a quick fix to the scripts failing only in Open Office ? I would like to fix this for next year.

BTW, I personally have never created scripts, so have no real knowledge of inner workings. :-(
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on MacOS 10.14.5
RusselB

Re: Failing Scripts - New to Forum

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
OpenOffice uses different language systems for scripts/macros.
LibreOffice uses the same language systems, but LibreOffice also has a higher compatibility with MS Office.
If the scripts are working in LibreOffice, I'm going to suggest that you switch to LibreOffice, as it is the main successor to OpenOffice, which is, realistically, if not literally, no longer under production.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
JeJe
Volunteer

Re: Failing Scripts - New to Forum

Post by JeJe »

If you post the scripts or a document with them in people will be able to look at them and possibly better help.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)