[Solved]User-defined date format (yyyymmdd) & data to column

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: [Solved]User-defined date format (yyyymmdd) & data to co

Post by Zizi64 »

Converting a .csv format data file
into (temporary) .ods format (when you edit a spreadsheet document then the file exists in ODF format)
then into .xls format (what is incompatible with the editor software)
then into some database format:
it is a nonsense - in my opinion...

I suppose you want not make any calculations in the database neither with the datas nor dates ...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Kprogrammer

Post by Kprogrammer »

Zizi64 wrote:Converting a .csv format data file
into (temporary) .ods format (when you edit a spreadsheet document the file exists in ODF format)
then into some database format:
it is a nonsense - in my opinion...
Can you suggest any alternative for this?
I suppose you want not make any calculations in the database neither with the datas nor dates ...
Yes exactly.
Open office 3.1 on Windows 7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

into (temporary) .ods format (when you edit a spreadsheet document then the file exists in ODF format)
then into some database format...
You can eliminate some steps:
- Do not use the obsolete .xls file format. Save the converted data into .ods file format: then the result will be 2 steps instead of 3 steps.
- Try to import the data directly from the .csv into the database format, and modify the data with the Base component. It is 1 step only.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Kprogrammer

Post by Kprogrammer »

Zizi64 wrote:
then into some database format...
You can eliminate some steps:
- Do not use the obsolete .xls file format. save the converted data into .ods file format: then the result will be 3 steps instead of 4 steps.
- Try to import the data directly from the .csv into the database format, and modify the data with the Base component. It is 1 step only.
Thanks for the helpful suggestions.
I will try this, it's better.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Where does the csv come from? A database? Do you have access to that database or do you only get the csv from it?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Kprogrammer

Post by Kprogrammer »

Villeroy wrote:Where does the csv come from? A database? Do you have access to that database or do you only get the csv from it?
I only get the file in csv format. I don't know much about it.. using this i prepare a File which has columns , as the fields of database. So that these data can be inserted into database.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

And you have thousands of these text files?
Write a simple script to merge all these files into one (skipping the first row of column labels) and most of the work is done.

How to import such a table into a "Base database" which is a HyperSQL database actually:
Put your text file as Import.csv in the same directory as the attached Base document.

The Base document consists of 3 tables:
1) A text table "CSV_IMPORT" which is linked to Import.csv with the given structure of your example csv file. The text table consists of 3 text fields and one field of decimals. The US-dates are interpreted as text.
2) A view which selects the 4 columns and converts the US-dates to database date values.
3) A normal data table with 2 text fields, one date, one decimal and an auto-incrementing row number as primary key. The data table also includes a unique index on the product code, the reference code and the date so it is impossible to import duplicate rows with the same pcode, date and refcode.
There is also a query in the database which stores the source code of the view.

You import the data from Import.csv like this:
Copy the IMPORT_VIEW icon (do not open it).
Select the DATA table icon and paste (do not open).
A dialog pops up with the name of the target table and option "append data" checked.
Click [Create] since the columns in the view are in the same order as the table columns and the data types fit to each other.
Attachments
csv_import.odb
(3.85 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Villeroy wrote:Write a simple script to merge all these files into one (skipping the first row of column labels) and most of the work is done.
The attached Python script does it. It is very simple and not well tested. I'm a lousy programmer.

If you have Python installed on your WIndows box, you know how to start the script with the 4 arguments described below.
If not, you can use the Python runtime that is installed with your office suite as an alternative macro language. My script is NOT a macro. It is a little program.
On a Windows box you can call the script like this (I did not test it on Windows):

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\OpenOffice4\program\python.exe D:\Script\MergeFiles.py D:\csv-collection "*.csv" Import.csv 1
The command is the path to python.exe in the program directory of your office installation path, for instance C:\Program Files\OpenOffice4\program\python.exe
Second part is the script file, for instance D:\Script\MergeFiles.py

The script file takes 3 or 4 arguments:
1. the directory of the files to be merged, for instance D:\csv-collection
2. a shell pattern in double-quotes "*.csv" points to all files ending with .csv
3. the name of the output file, for instance Import.csv
4. optionally, the count of column header lines to be skipped, by default 0, in the example command 1 (as in your csv example)

The script opens all files matching the given shell pattern (argument 2) within the given directory (argument 1) and appends all lines to the given output file (argument 3) skipping any given amount of lines on top (integer argument 4). For each processed file it prints the file name and count of processed lines to the terminal and moves the file to a subdirectory named "merged".

If you have my database document in the same directory, you can simply copy the merged data of Import.csv to the data table as described in the previous post of mine.
As more csv files arrive in the directory you can merge them to Import.csv, open or reload the Base document and copy Import.csv to the data table.
Attachments
MergeFiles.py.txt
remove the .txt suffix from the file name. it's just because the forum software does not allow Python scripts.
(964 Bytes) Downloaded 244 times
Kprogrammer

Post by Kprogrammer »

@Villeroy

Thank you so much Villeroy for providing such a great solution.You have explained it very well.
I understand what steps to follow. I will try to implement this.

Thank you once again!!