Help Pulling hyperlinks from a master list and copying

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
rjraulst

Help Pulling hyperlinks from a master list and copying

Post by rjraulst »

Alight Everyone. First time posting, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I Just recently switched to open office, and while I felt i was getting the hang of basic VBA in excel, I feel lost here.

here's the scope of the project:

Sheet 1 is the viewing record log where the user selects a drop down list created from a master list on sheet 2. In sheet 2, the list items are hyperlinked, but as I have learned, the hyperlinks do not transfer to the lists on sheet 1.

I have tried to approach this several ways. First was to create a second column with a vlookup style code to match the drop down list item, to a master list item, which still didn't pull the hyperlink.

I then created a button and small code that uses the list as a reference to call from the master list using hyperlink function. This worked in terms of matching up the names, but still no luck on hyperlink.

This will be a continual growing list to where you enter in specs in name tags in the master sheet with hyperlinks to pdf files, and then viewing it on the record log and still being able to click the links.

Any help would be much appreciated !
Open Office 4.1.5 on windows 10
FJCC

Re: Help Pulling hyperlinks from a master list and coping

Post by FJCC »

If you are willing to use a second column, here is a not-very-elegant solution. In A3 of your first sheet, use Data Validity to point at your list of hyperlinks on your second sheet. After choosing an item, the cell should display text like
C:\Users\fjcc\Desktop\MyDoc.pdf
In cell B3 put the formula

Code: Select all

=HYPERLINK("file:///" & A3;A3)
This will display the text of A3 but it will be a link to the document. You may want to define a cell style for B3 that makes it look like a link, making the text blue, perhaps.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
rjraulst

Re: Help Pulling hyperlinks from a master list and coping

Post by rjraulst »

I thought about this, but this will make the drop down list only show the path? My hyperlinks have general names which are (spec numbers) and the user would use the drop down to select the user number, which then would either need a button or another cell to match the name in the list and pull the hyperlink from the master sheet
Open Office 4.1.5 on windows 10