[Closed] A way to limit AOO Calc's no. of rows and columns?

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
rajibando

[Closed] A way to limit AOO Calc's no. of rows and columns?

Post by rajibando »

Is there a way to limit the no. of rows and columns when I create a new AOO Calc spreadsheet document? Say, to 20 rows and 1o columns? I know it doesn't save any space because of the limited no, of rows-columns.
Any input?
Could help in embedding calc datasheet within AOO Writer!
Last edited by rajibando on Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice 4.0.3.3 (Build ID: 400m0(Build:3)) in Knoppix 7.2.0
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: A way to limit AOO Calc's no. of rows and columns?

Post by Villeroy »

10x20.ods
A1:J20 with cell style "Unlocked", hidden rows and columns, protected sheet.
(10.71 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
rajibando

Post by rajibando »

No, no, not hidden :-) and via protection; I know that part!
Only pre-determined limited rows and columns without hiding them!
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I know it doesn't save any space because of the limited no, of rows-columns.
No, no, not hidden :-) I know that part!
Only pre-determined limited rows and columns without hiding them!
Why not appropriate for you the solution with hidden rows and columns?

The empty rows and empty columns NOT EXIST really in a speadsheet file. (There is not any description part for the empty cells in the XML file of the ODF archive.
The visible grid and "cells" are a graphical layout only.

The AOO Calc and LO Calc has only a maximum limit for the row count and culumn count. There is no (simple) way to decrease that limits. (You must modify the source code of the software.)
You can not modify the limit by modifying the default template or by adjusting other related settings of the office suite, or by any action of the user inteface.

In my opinion: it is enough to hide the unwanted rows and columns: you (or other users) can not write into the hidden cells. Remember: The empty cells: not exist.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
rajibando

Post by rajibando »

Zizi64 wrote:The empty rows and empty columns NOT EXIST really in a speadsheet file. ... The visible grid and "cells" are a graphical layout only.
Yes, I am aware of this, 256 columns and 16384 to 65536 rows. Have seen the layout of CSV files to understand that :-)
Zizi64 wrote:There is no (simple) way to decrease that limits. (You must modify the source code of the software.)
Oh! Is it not possible without changing the source code or Binary code? I was under the impression that it could be done by some abstruse settings.

For instance, I wanted to have the row-column settings manipulated via data within the spreadsheet itself in the form of (row=10, col=10).

In that case, I guess I have to remain satisfied with what is possible :-(
Last edited by rajibando on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

rajibando wrote:Yes, I am aware of this, 256 columns and 16384 to 65536 rows. Have seen the layout of CSV files to understand that :-)
You understand absolutely nothing.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
rajibando

Post by rajibando »

Villeroy wrote:You understand absolutely nothing.
Yes, I know I am an idiot! This is not new to me!
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Yes, I am aware of this, 256 columns and 16384 to 65536 rows. Have seen the layout of CSV files to understand that
The older versions had lower limit values: (65536, 32000 rows). The users usually want more and more rows. You are a special type of the users... :lol:

http://web.archive.org/web/201408190014 ... 8&zoneid=9
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... et_file%3F
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The xls file format is limited to 65536 rows 256 columns. This highly efficient binary format can not address more cells.
csv is a plain text database exchange format with no inherent limits. You can read Gigabytes line by line and write into a database until the job is done.
rajibando

Post by rajibando »

Villeroy wrote:csv is a plain text database exchange format with no inherent limits. You can read Gigabytes line by line and write into a database until the job is done.
Let us not get into an argument here. My comment about CSV was in response to Zizi's comments that empty rows and columns don't actually exist but are only for graphical layout:
Zizi wrote:The empty rows and empty columns NOT EXIST really in a speadsheet file. ... The visible grid and "cells" are a graphical layout only.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

In a .CSV file you must mark the "empty cells" between the existing data values:

Code: Select all

abcdef,12.34,,,,,,35.12,fghjkl,24
The 6 commas mean 5 "empty cells" between the "non empty cells" in a file what was imported into the Calc.

But in real ODF type spreeadsheet file those empty cells are not marked: there are description parts only for the cells/cellranges that containing some data (numeric or textual) or formula or a specific format property.
rajibando

Post by rajibando »

Zizi64 wrote:In a .CSV file you must mark the "empty cells" between the existing data values ... ... formula or a specific format property.
Excuse me, but I did not understand the need for that post of yours! I know them already. My mere mention of CSV should have been the clue!

Were you talking to Villeroy?
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: [Closed]A way to limit AOO Calc's no. of rows and column

Post by Zizi64 »

I just tried to clarify the structure of the different file types: There is not millions of predefined cells in a new, empty odf file, in turn the limit is for rows: 1,048,576 and for columns: 1,024. If you want use 100 cells only, the you use 100 cells only. Why it is important for you: how many are the maximum values???