Newbie looking for sense!

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
Alan3

Newbie looking for sense!

Post by Alan3 »

Hello

I am a Visual Basic 6 (vb6) user, working on getting away from Microsoft and getting into Linux. Currently I am seeing what I can do with OpenOffice Writer and in particular Macros. I am used to a facility in vb6 where once I type a word and the full point after it, a dropdown list of methods or options appears (they call this Intellisense, hence my thread title) allowing me to select quickly. The same thing is clearly not there in the basic used in OpenOffice macros.

So my question is 'Where can I find a comprehensive list of methods and options?' I am aware of the excellent work by Andrew Pitonyak, but is there some comprehensive documentation that is written/maintained by actual authors/ developers of the language?
OpenOffice 3.2 on Linux Mint
robleyd

Re: Newbie looking for sense!

Post by robleyd »

Hi, and welcome to the community forum.

This might be a good starting point for you. Also this topic has a few potentially useful links and pointers.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

OO doesn't have intellisense. There is this extension, MRI which may help:

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=49294

You could try LibreOffice which has some more features in its IDE including experimental code completion.

As you have VB6 you can do a lot of coding in that (with its intellisense) and then transfer it to the OO IDE as OO and VB6 are very similar.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Andrew Pitonyak gives a macro for formatting OpenOffice BASIC. this might serve as the basis for an extended OO BASIC IDE, with the extra features Alan3 requires. Of course, someone who wished those features would have to implement this.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Basic IDE Tools is another extension that might help you in the IDE

http://wiki.open-office.es/Basic_IDE_To ... OpenOffice
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)