[Solved] New AltSearch Add-on Hotkey & toolbar Instructions

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
LuigiWriter2

[Solved] New AltSearch Add-on Hotkey & toolbar Instructions

Post by LuigiWriter2 »

Adding an _altsearch add-on button to a Toolbar has become more complicated than with earlier versions of Alt Search and OpenOffice :( where the installer download installed the button on the Standard Toolbar with the green binoculars icon .

The help page at

http://mujweb.cz/macrojtb/HelpAltSearch_en.html#davky

has not been updated for Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10 :!:

** How to Add a button for the _altsearch Dialog window on a Toolbar if you use AltSearch frequently:

I chose to add it to the Find toolbar but you may choose another convenient for you.

1. Open the dialog Tools > Customize... > Toolbars > [Toolbar of your choice], then, Add
2. In the Add Commands dialog box Category field, navigate to OpenOffice.org Macros [Found at the bottom] and click on the [+]
3. Click on the [+] in front of My Macros then on the [+] in front of Standard
4. Double click AltSearchBatchs -
3. In the Commands field, select AltSearch_dialog
4. Select Add, then Close
5. “_altsearch” will now appear in the toolbar.
If you prefer the the green binoculars icon to the text “_altsearch” you will need to:
6. In your browser go to
7. Select Save Page As and save to a convenient and find-able file folder.
8. Back in OpenOffice or LebreOffice Select Modify, then Change Icon
9. Select Import and navigate to the file folder to which you saved the page.
10. Open the Page Name_files folder, select the icon file and select open.
11. The icon will be added at the beginning of the selection matrix
12. Highlight the icon and select OK.

** How to Set up keyboard shortcuts if you use AltSearch frequently:
[This is a revision of the installation tip found on the Alt Search help page.]

1. Open the dialog Tools > Customize... > Keyboard
2. In the Customize dialog box Shortcut keys field select the short cut key combination you want to assign to the Alt Search macro. (suggested [Ctrl]+[H] to open the Search dialog;
3. In the Functions – Category field, navigate to OpenOffice.org Macros [Found at the bottom] and click on the [+]
4. Click on the [+] in front of user then on the [+] in front of AltSearch
5. Click AltSearch in the list below,
6. The key combination [for example “Ctrl+H”] will now be displayed in the Keys field.
7. Select OK.

To add other macros like the following, repeat steps 1 through 3
_FindNext: Ctrl+L (to find the next occurrence of the search string after the cursor point, without opening the search dialog);
_FindBack: Ctrl+Shift+L (to find the occurrence of the search string before the cursor point, without opening the search dialog).

** The reasons for my creating new instruction sets.
The instructions on the help page at

are erroneous for Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10.
I could find no way of submitting revisions to the page maintainer, thus I am opening the topic here for anyone who will encounter the same problem.
The present instructions only cover a shortcut key assignment, but if used for adding a button on a toolbar in Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10 error messages will be received because the macro needed for a Toolbar is found in

OpenOffice.org Macros > My Macros > Standard > AltSearchBatchs -
and not in
OpenOffice.org Macros - User - AltSearch - AltSearch

where the macro for the hot key is located.

Assigning a similarly labeled but wrong macro will result in error messages like the following:

Alternative Find &. Replace for Writer v1.4.2 3/2017
Bt_run: Error with opening file:
fiIe///C:/Users/[USER]/AppData/Roarning/OpenOffice/4/user/config/SearchScript.txt
I.0:
because the proper script will not be installed in the config folder.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10, and LebreOffice on Ubuntu 16.10 and Lbuntu 16.04, writer of "Kuiper Belted" [A Non fantasy science fiction mystery set 150 years in the future.]
"A stone cold mystery in space."