Using Java to end the quickstarter

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
kpassey

Using Java to end the quickstarter

Post by kpassey »

Hi,

I have a couple of programs that merge data from an IBMi. These programs check the odb and odt files stored on a central server and if they have changed copy them back to a pc where the software runs.

My question is - is it possible to programatically terminate the quickstarter..any pointers to examples that I can incorporate would be appreciated. It is not possible to copy back the odb file if the quickstarter is active. Yes I can end the quickstarter via the system tray - but I want to do this automatically within the program.

Thanks

Kevin
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Using Java to end the quickstarter

Post by Villeroy »

The quickstarter setting is somewhere in file registrymodifications.xcu of the user profile.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
kpassey

Post by kpassey »

Thanks Villeroy,

I'm going to be dim now... :oops: I have the LoadOpenOffice box unticked in Tools>Options>Memory - so when my program runs it starts the quickstarter if it is not already running and then merges an ODT file with a record on the database defined in the ODB file.

My problem is that I need to kill it if the ODB file needs to be replaced if someone changes the master copy before I run the merge. I need to do that in my program if it detects that the master ODB file updated date is different from the date on the ODB file I'm already using on a local PC - does that make sense..

So what I need is a way in java to kill the quickstarter - it used to work on earlier versions of open office..unless you are suggesting that I get my program to change the registrymodifications.xcu file?

Thanks

Kevin
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

No, sorry. I made a mistake. The setting is not stored in that file, at least I can't diff anything usefull. I think you've got to kill the soffice process one way or the other or simply tell your users to abstain from that anti-feature called "quick starter".
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
kpassey

Post by kpassey »

No problem - thanks for taking the time to answer..

If I'm honest I like the quickstarter - the users are printing random individual letters all day merging data from a database, so the quickstarter reduces the load overhead.

I did have some code that killed it quite happily...then a rule came in that said you can't do a xDesktop.terminate() while the quickstarter was running....it was that I wanted to kill or terminate nicely...

Thanks anyway - I'll keep testing/looking..

Kevin
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

What kind of database are you running?
kpassey

Post by kpassey »

IBMi DB2.. :shock: on V6R1 and V7R1 boxes.