current state of vba macros in openoffice

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
j.goldhammer

current state of vba macros in openoffice

Post by j.goldhammer »

Hello community,

I have been looking around in this forum, but I cannot find out which is the state to execute vba macros of opened ms-office-files in openoffice! I want to run an openoffice server which fetches ms-office-files (powerpoint) and execute an inline vba-macro which refreshs the powerpoint file. Afterwards I want to save this file back to filesystem. Is this currently possbile with the uno api?

Thanks for your answers.
Regards,
Jens
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Re: current state of vba macros in openoffice

Post by Hagar Delest »

See here for some hints: [Solved] OO 2.4 Calc Compatibility problem with MS Excel.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: current state of vba macros in openoffice

Post by Villeroy »

There is no VBA support in neither version of OOo/StarOffice and IMHO there will never be because the two office packages are by far too different in technology and features. What I have seen so far is a translation helper at best. If you are not proficient with both technologies while running VBA in OOo's "VBA compatibility mode" you will almost certainly run into trouble. You'll find some examples in this forum and in the other forum oooforum.org where the "compatibility mode" had to fail for obvious reasons (obj=Excel.Application) or where it messed up working code. If VBA is of importance, you've got to stay with MSOffice.
Btw. I've never seen anything concerning the PowerPoint-API.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice