[Solved] How do I find filters for export?

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
ptoye

[Solved] How do I find filters for export?

Post by ptoye »

I may need to use a macro to save a Write document in one of PDF, RTF or Ms-Word format (don't know which yet). I've found a list of filters in FilterFactory, but their names don't say whether they're input or output filters. Anyone here got any idea how to find out?

Or are filters bi-directional, in which case I assume I need "writer_pdf_Export", "Rich Text Format", and "MS Word 97"?
Last edited by floris v on Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added solved icon
Peter
OO 4.1.1 on MS Windows 7 64-bit
FJCC

Re: How do I find filters for export?

Post by FJCC »

Does this help? https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Framew ... st_OOo_3_0
I'm not sure it is up to date.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
ptoye

Post by ptoye »

Brilliant. Thanks. It seems to have the filters I need, and they all support export. Now I'll try them out.

How do you manage to find these things?
Peter
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

ptoye wrote:How do you manage to find these things?
Too many hours having "fun" with this software.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
ptoye

Re: [Solved] How do I find filters for export?

Post by ptoye »

Ah....

I have to say that I find OOBasic the least "fun" language that I've ever had to deal with.
Peter
ptoye

Post by ptoye »

I tried out the PDF filter and it worked fine, so I assume the others will. Thanks again FJCC for your help.
Peter
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

ptoye wrote:Brilliant. Thanks. It seems to have the filters I need, and they all support export. Now I'll try them out.

How do you manage to find these things?
You can ask the software itself about its capabilities.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
ptoye

Post by ptoye »

Thanks Villeroy. I don't speak Python - it was invented after I ave up serious programming. I sort of see what it's doing, but my main question to FJCC was how to find out which API function to call to get the information. The API documentation , as I've said many times here, is not exactly user-friendly. Once I knew it was com.sun.star.document.FilterFactory it was easy(ish). I think that if AOO (or LO) want to be taken seriously, they have to improve the level of documentation by an order of magnitude. Not easy, I know. But then software writing isn't easy either, it's just more fun.
Peter
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Extract the module to <user_profile>/Scripts/python/ and run the code via Tools>Macros.... The running office suite will dump all information into a searchable spreadsheet document.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
ptoye

Post by ptoye »

Wow! Thanks. But to be honest I prefer FJCC's solution. Less data but enough information, if you see what I mean.
Peter
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

ptoye wrote:Wow! Thanks. But to be honest I prefer FJCC's solution. Less data but enough information, if you see what I mean.
That list is a static list of 2007 (OpenOffice 3.0). My macro generates a complete filter list for any recent version of AOO and LibreOffice. Todays LibreOffice list of suported file formats is much larger.
ptoye

Post by ptoye »

Ah. I see. Thanks.
Peter
searchingforpants

Post by searchingforpants »

Villeroy wrote:Extract the module to <user_profile>/Scripts/python/ and run the code via Tools>Macros.... The running office suite will dump all information into a searchable spreadsheet document.
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but where can one download the the Python module you mention that dumps all available filters for export?
LibreOffice 6.3 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Sorry for being heedless. I moved that thing to a separate topic in the snippets forum: Print properties of TypeDetection and FilterFactory