[Solved] BASIC or Java or ...?

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
Paper Pusher

[Solved] BASIC or Java or ...?

Post by Paper Pusher »

BASIC or Java or ...?

Is there a FAQ somewhere that discusses choice of programming languages for use with OOO?

I'm trying to decide where to focus my efforts. What do you recommend? [My OS's are Microsoft Windows (currently XP) and Ubuntu Linux, but the specific operating system shouldn't matter.]

My primary alternatives the OOO BASIC and Netbeans/Java/Swing/UNO.
I've worked with various BASICs over the years, but never OOO BASIC. The Beginners' All-purpose Symbolic Interchange Code has come a long way since its Dartmouth College days.
I've worked with Java and Swing before, but never Netbeans or UNO. After reading some UNO docs, my impression is that it's pretty complex.
There is also a lot of buzz around newer languages like Python. It claims to combine the best of both worlds. Google is a great fan of Python. I'm open to anything at this point. My bias is toward Java, hence I am posting here.

I'm a great fan of OOO. It's installed on all of my computers. (All are IBM PC architecture). Ubuntu is also installed on all of my computers. Most also have Microsoft Windows XP available and that's run most often. The price is right for OOO and Ubuntu. Since these are all home computers, price matters.

My initial application is described below. This application is for personal use. I have no commercial ambitions for it.
1.Users push a button to log in and out similar to a punch card system. The date and time are written into a spreadsheet. The name of the user comes from the title of a Mozilla Sunbird scheduled event in a .ics file.
2.Users view and print the event description (a to-do list).
2.Users write a log of actuals that is stored either in a cell of an .ods file or as a text file. (I haven't decided which yet.)

What technology is best suited? Thanks.
Last edited by Paper Pusher on Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP + ubuntu
ms777
Volunteer

Re: BASIC or Java or ...?

Post by ms777 »

use Baisc. It is by far easiest to compile an run using the IDE. From what you describe I do not believe that there is anything not feasable with Basic
Paper Pusher

Post by Paper Pusher »

Thank you for the advice. I'll gladly follow it. :)
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP + ubuntu
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Moved from "External programs" to "Macros and UNO API".
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice