Avoid pop up of userfields on creating a new .odt from .ott

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
Hardy
Volunteer

Avoid pop up of userfields on creating a new .odt from .ott

Post by Hardy »

I'm working on a .ott¹ for distributed off-line data entry.
Contributers are to create their documents by clicking the .ott.
It should normally be run with macros enabled and connection to a local extract from a database, but should retain some basic functionality if that's not given. For such basic queries (which should instead be steered by macros in normal mode), I used userfields with corresponding entry fields.

How can I prevent those entry fields from popping up when a new document is created from the .ott file and macros are allowed to take over the control?

Binding a macro to the onNew(?) (or however that's called outside of my locale) event doesn't help. It's executed only after all the entry fields have popped up. Nor would an onAppStart event be a safe way, since the suite might have been open already.

¹) still wondering what the significance of the notion "template" is in o³ - seems to be nothing, but the reaction to the file's extension. Couldn't find a connection to the "template"-property of the document's "properties"-property (remains "" in all my experiments).
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows W2k
JohnV
Volunteer

Re: Avoid pop up of userfields on creating a new .odt from .ott

Post by JohnV »

I used userfields with corresponding entry fields.
If you mean you created a User Field and then inserted a corresponding Input Field then don't insert the Input Fields, just insert the User Fields. The Input Fields cause the "popping up"* when a new file is created from an .ott template file.

* OOo queries you for the value of each Input Field. There are no queries for the values of User Fields.
Hardy
Volunteer

Re: Avoid pop up of userfields on creating a new .odt from .ott

Post by Hardy »

Hi John and thanks for your response

Sure, I inserted the complete pairs (user- & input-fields) for these entries - haven't found another way to retain the basic functionality if macros are disabled.
And yes, it's this query that I want to have, if macros are disabled, but want to avoid when my macros can handle that in a much smarter way.
Problem is that I don't find a way to have any macro been executed before that query starts.
Or - are there any fields that can query the user on click, but are not queried on creation of a new .odt?

oops - I just see that the formatting vanished out of my opening post - so the central question has become much less clear.
Is that a normal observation in this forum? Or does that need editing (not by myself, that's sure)?

btw - another observation: An onStartApp-macro seems to never be executed when starting OOo by clicking the .o?t file.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows W2k