MS Office macro's to OOO

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
vleeuwen

MS Office macro's to OOO

Post by vleeuwen »

Hi there,

my company has a large Linux-based user community (RHEL4). Until now, they only used their Linux workstations for trade specific application, and had a Windows computer next to it for e-mail and MS Office applications.

Because of rising hardware costs, I want to deploy OpenOffice 2.3 to the Linux community. But I want to give those users all the functionality they would have had if they were still using their Windows computers.

In MS Word we have different letter, reports and fax templates made up in our house style. Most of them open a dialogue box for entering name, date, addressee and subject details. When closing that box, those details are automatically filled in the apropriate fields within the Word document. The Macros are written in VBA.

I came upon a OOo wiki regarding VBA operability in 2.3, and it sounds good.
So I converted a MS Word template to Writer (with the Convertion Wizard in OOO 2.3.1), and when I opened the Writer template, it didn't present me with the dialogue box, without any errors. I do get the "enable macro's" message.

I've been up and down internet without finding any leads.

Can somebody confirm that this should work? Or have I forgotten something, or misinterpreted anything?

All suggestions are greatly appreciated, but bear in mind I'm no VBA expert!

Thank you,

Arjan van Leeuwen
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: MS Office macro's to OOO

Post by Villeroy »

In MS Word we have different letter, reports and fax templates made up in our house style. Most of them open a dialogue box for entering name, date, addressee and subject details. When closing that box, those details are automatically filled in the apropriate fields within the Word document. The Macros are written in VBA.
I have no idea about the difference between typing into a dialogue's form controls and typing into a document's form controls. Possibly there is something more functionality behind those dialogues?
Anyway, VBA is the ring to bind them all. You are stuck with Microsoft unless you learn how to program the same stuff for OpenOffice.org. Another alternative may be learning about some advanced features of your software. I hardly ever use Writer, but I'm pretty shure Writer (as well as MS Word) can fill address fields by picking a recipient from a list of addresses without writing a single line of macro code.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice