[Solved] Bind xhp to options dialog via help-url

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API

[Solved] Bind xhp to options dialog via help-url

Postby test357 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:12 am

tags: pyuno, xdl, xhp, help

Supposedly you can associate a helpdocument (.xhp) to an UNO extensions` settings dialog. And there's probably more than one way. But I really couldn't fiddle out which URL or path I screwed up. So, while the help page generally exists in the documentation index, it just won't come up when pressing F1 or Help within the settings window.

dlg:help-url="vnd.sun.star.help://help/pkg/page.xhp?…"OptionsPage.xdl

So, the documentation on help-url= is somewhat scant. But I figured it might honor one of those expand URLs.
And I even got the right one from the bookmarks/userRegistry.xcu:

Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
<dlg:window
     xmlns:dlg="http://openoffice.org/2000/dialog"
     xmlns:script="http://openoffice.org/2000/script"
     dlg:id="OptionsPageTranslate"
     dlg:help-uri="vnd.sun.star.help://help/vnd.include-once.pagetranslate/config.xhp?Language=en&amp;System=UNIX&amp;UseDB=no"

However, that neither works when associated to the dialog, nor individual checkboxes/fields/buttons.
Haven't really seen help-uri= being used anywhere, so the scheme is really just a guess.

<bookmark branch="hid/packagename:dialog_id">config.xhp

Alternatively it ought to be possible to have the help page associate itself to the dialog, or dialog elements at least.
And I've seen the "hid/pkg:opt" syntax in another extension (albeit for different dialogs and mostly just for fields/buttons).

<helpdocument version="1.0">
   <meta>
      <topic id="topic_d1e3" indexer="include" status="PUBLISH">
         <title xml-lang="en" id="title_d1e3">Translation settings</title>
         <filename>/help/vnd.include-once.pagetranslate/config.xhp</filename>
     …
   <bookmark id="bm_d1e7"
          branch="hid/vnd.include-once.pagetranslate:OptionsPageTranslate"
          xml-lang="en">
      <bookmark_value>settings…</bookmark_value>
   </bookmark>

Now the hid/… scheme seems somewhat better documented in https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Help_page_description.
But alas, that also didn't make F1 context-sensitive for my settings dialog and help page.

• Which makes me wonder if the <filename> is relevant to any of this. (Maybe that's what the dlg:help-uri= should refer to?)
  • Or if there's an implicit `.uno:Whatever` for the dialog. (Not sure where that's documented. HELP_DEBUG=1 yields nothing.)
  • Perhaps the branch=hid/… just needs a different pkgname.module.widget_id string composition? (Still no samples found.)
  • Should the context-sensitivity work for the settings dialog at all, or just for widgets within?

(Edit: Bonus question on xslt/xml-stylesheet moved to mailing list..)
(Edit2: changed most `-uri` mentions and title to `-url` as not to further the typo on Google).
Last edited by test357 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.0 on Ubuntu 19.04
test357

Re: Bind xhp to options dialog via help-uri=/bookmrk branch=

Postby test357 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:36 am

I'm voting to close this question as off-topic, as it's no longer reproducible
or was caused by a typo, and is unlikely to help future readers.

So, it should have been `dlg:help-url=` and not `-uri` all along.
(Not sure where I found that sample. And for once it's indeed a locator, not an identifier.)

dlg:help-url="vnd.sun.star.help://help/vndpkgname/page.xhp"

Which kinda makes the help button and F1 context-sensitive.
You still need to hit something in the settings dialog beforehand, but nevermind.

And presumably you can also use `dlg:help-url="pkgname:page"`, but haven't tested that.

Unfortunately there seems to be no way to get an hid/ or .uno: for any of the dialog widgets.
Btw, DEBUG_HELP=1 only works with Shift-F1 or Extended Tooltips enabled. → Shows some generic `cid/…/box` ID for all dialog widgets.
OpenOffice 4.0 on Ubuntu 19.04
test357

Return to Macros and UNO API