[Solved] Can't open new document

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua

[Solved] Can't open new document

Postby southbay » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:55 pm

I am using a Mac. I have always opened a new blank page by clicking Text Document. Now when I click it, an old document comes up. It is Untitled. I do not want this document but do not know how to delete it. I scroll down the entire document and press the delete button and it is gone. But when I click Text Document again, this unwanted document appears. I wouldn't mind if I have to keep this document but HOW DO I GET A NEW BLANK PAGE TO START A NEW DOCUMENT?
Last edited by southbay on Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice4 on Mac 10.10.5
southbay

Re: can't open new document

Postby RusselB » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:05 pm

Welcome to the Forums
The name "Untitled" is the default name for any new document in OpenOffice.
It will stay like that until you save the file using a different name.
If you are getting an old document using that name, then, at some point, a file was saved using the Untitled name.
If you know you don't want that document, locate the document from outside of OpenOffice, then delete the file.
Once that is done, OpenOffice should start acting as you were expecting.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby southbay » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:15 pm

I realized that I must have saved it as Untitled at some point. I have tried locating it outside of Open Office (Documents) but can't find it there. In Open Office it "appears" under documents I have recently used but when I click on it there, I get a message that the file doesn't exist. And yet it still shows up when trying to open a blank Text Document......
southbay

Postby RusselB » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:51 pm

I'm going to defer the remainder of this conversation to an experienced Mac user.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby RoryOF » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:52 pm

Possibly default template has had text added. But as RusselB says, this needs a Mac User's input.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Re: Can't open new document

Postby MrProgrammer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:40 pm

southbay wrote:I have always opened a new blank page by clicking Text Document. Now when I click it, an old document comes up. It is Untitled. I do not want this document but do not know how to delete it. I scroll down the entire document and press the delete button and it is gone. But when I click Text Document again, this unwanted document appears. I wouldn't mind if I have to keep this document but how do i get a new blank page to start a new document?
I believe this difficulty is not related to your operating system (MacOS) but occurs because have accidentally activated your old document as the default text document template. To correct that:
• File → Templates → Organize
At bottom left is a selector; set it to Templates.
Double-click My Templates. Do you see your old document underneath? If so, this is definitely the problem.
Whether or not you recognize your old document, use:
• Commands → Reset Default Template → Text Document
If you do recognize your old document and never want to use it as a template select it (single-click) and use:
• Commands → Delete → Yes (this deletes the template, not the original document)
After you click Close, when you open a new text document it should be empty.

Please let us know if this was the solution you needed.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800 on MacOS 10.14.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer

Re: Can't open new document

Postby southbay » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:08 pm

Mr. Programmer - Thank you! It worked!!
southbay

Return to Mac OSX