[Solved] Apple/OpenOffice compatibility

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Antlance

[Solved] Apple/OpenOffice compatibility

Post by Antlance »

Is Open Office V4.1.6.normally fully compatible with Apple OS Mojave 10.14. New user.
Many thanks.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Open Office 4.1.6.
Apple OS High Sierra 10.13.6.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Apple/Open Office compatibility

Post by Villeroy »

OpenOffice is dead. Even if it is fully compatible with something, this compatibility may break tomorrow when something changes and the old project does not follow. You better install https://libreoffice.org/ which is the actively developed successor to OpenOffice since 2011.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

Don't listen merchants of doom: OpenOffice works with MacOS.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It's not whether the program is compatible - it whether the files are compatible.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a discussion.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Birkl7e

Re: Apple/OpenOffice compatibility

Post by Birkl7e »

When will AOO be compatible with MacOS Mojave (I'm on 10.14.6)? It looks as though 4.1.7, which is a maintenance update, isn't compatible. I've used AOO previously before, it's a good product.
Open Office on MacOS 10.13.6
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Antlance wrote:Is Open Office V4.1.6.normally fully compatible with Apple OS Mojave 10.14.
Birkl7e wrote:When will AOO be compatible with MacOS Mojave (I'm on 10.14.6)?
There are no developers here. We have no more information about OpenOffice/MacOS planning or compatibilty than you do. I can tell you from personal experience that AOO 4.1.5 runs well on MacOS 10.11.6. A review of posts in the Mac OSX forum shows that several people say they are currently running various versions of OpenOffice on MacOS 10.14.
Birkl7e wrote:It looks as though 4.1.7, which is a maintenance update, isn't compatible.
Then you shouldn't install it. But others with different configurations may have success with AOO 4.1.7. Time will tell.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Mac FAQ
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Birkl7e wrote:When will AOO be compatible with MacOS Mojave (I'm on 10.14.6)? It looks as though 4.1.7, which is a maintenance update, isn't compatible. I've used AOO previously before, it's a good product.
AOO is compatible with macOS Mojave. I am currently using AOO 4.1.7. I have always used the latest version of AOO and had no compatibility problems.
What make it think it isn't compatible.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Try the LibreOffice.
The LO project was forked at OpenOffice version 3.3.x. The newest AOO version is 4.1.7, but the latest LibreOffice Still version is 6.2.7 today... (And the latest LO Fresh version has 6.3.1 version number) It means: The LO has a more intensive development. Every 3 months has been released a "bug-fixed" or a "new-function" LO version since the forking date. See the Release plan:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan

The LO
- has a higher compatibility with the foreign and the never standardized file formats.
- can save into the Strict version of the OOXML standard.
- has a new, MS Ribbon-like optional User interface/Toolbar look. (I hate the Ribbon, I am using the SideBar.)
- has a higher compatibility with the continously changed Windows 10 environment and the newer versions of the other operating systems...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.