Document Recovery Window on OSX

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
matthewbartlett

Document Recovery Window on OSX

Post by matthewbartlett »

Hey everybody,
I hope to bother you only for one post as forums have always been helpful for me in the past.

I have the infamous mac "Reopen/Don't Reopen" window. I did a search here and followed the steps to find the hidden library folder and delete the save state application.

I started a document earlier today and the window was open and wouldn't go away but I didn't think anything of it. 4 hours and 23 pages later, I have a stuck document with no way to save, export, or print. I already deleted the save state but so many others have said that it required force quitting. I no longer have the source material I was using to type up the document ( not all of it anyways ) so I really need to find a way to save what I have for now if possible before force quitting. If I could just find a way to save it, export it, or even copy/paste it (copying doesn't save anything to my clipboard) then I would be able to force quit and save the issue.

Am I stuck here?

I don't know my version of Open Office because I can't really poke around much in the program right now and 3.1 was the one given in the example. I could have a different version.

Thanks
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
MrProgrammer

Re: Document Recovery Window on OSX

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
matthewbartlett wrote:I have the infamous mac "Reopen/Don't Reopen" window.
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q01/A01
matthewbartlett wrote:I don't know my version of Open Office
Read Q22/A22 then fix your forum signature in User Control Panel → Profile → Edit Signature.
matthewbartlett wrote:I started a document earlier today and the window was open and wouldn't go away
I don't understand how one can start a document while MacOS is asking about Reopen/Don't Reopen. But whatever. It seems risky to enter data for four hours without a save, especially when you are somehow losing your source material, and if you really care about the data, without multiple saves to different files so if the last one is damaged you don't lose everything.
matthewbartlett wrote:Am I stuck here?
Probably, but I don't understand how your Mac can be in the state you've described. Perhaps select everything and copy it to the clipboard, then open TextEdit and paste it there?? You may lose some formatting but this is better than losing the content. Or, once you've followed the Q01/A01 procedure including re-launching OpenOffice, the OpenOffice document recovery mechanism may help you. You should read Q23/A23 and Q24/A24 before creating another document.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).