Need Advice: OpenOffice no longer works

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
banjobll

Need Advice: OpenOffice no longer works

Post by banjobll »

Open Office 4.1.6, Mac 10.14.6 I have been using Open Office (text and spreadsheet documents) for about 6 years, very happy, no issues. Got new Mac about a year ago and all worked ok initially but now after installing updates, most spreadsheets are inoperable, I can still open and read existing ones but cannot select any portion, cannot modify, copy or paste. I can create new spreadsheets and they are operable but only a very few of my old ones are operable.
1. Is there a compatibility problem with the new Mac OS?
2. Is there any fix?
3. there is a spreadsheet app on the new Mac called "Nunbers" but I am not able to select a[the Open Office spreadsheets into it. Is there a way to do this?

thanks
Open Office 4.1.6
Mac OS 10.14.6
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Need Advice: Open Office no longer works.

Post by Villeroy »

Switch to https://libreoffice.org/ which is the actively developed successor to OpenOffice. OpenOffice has almost died. This forum is the most vivid part of OpenOffice.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Need Advice: Open Office no longer works.

Post by John_Ha »

banjobll wrote:I can still open and read existing ones but cannot select any portion, cannot modify, copy or paste. I can create new spreadsheets and they are operable but only a very few of my old ones are operable.
The old files have been set to Read Only probably because they come from the old PC. Either change them to not Read Only or click the Edit icon and save them.
Attachments
Clipboard01.gif
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.