Installing a new font on a Macbook (pre-leopard)

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
atomicgrape

Installing a new font on a Macbook (pre-leopard)

Post by atomicgrape »

Welcome beginner. What is your question or comment?
Please try to briefly and clearly tell us: What you want, What you tried, and What happened.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have often had a problem with my formatting being changed whenever I save a document as a .doc and e-mail it to someone using Word. I think the problem is that when they open the file it automatically puts it into Times New Roman font. This has never been a big deal before but I just started grad school and there are strict limits on the number of pages for the various projects (all of which have to be submitted electronically as a .doc). Changing the font to TNR has made my essay up to 1/2 to 3/4 a page shorter (more depending on how long the essay is). I downloaded TNR from the internet and it was added to my Font Book but I do not know how to get Open Office to recognize those fonts and use them (or if it is even possible). I saw a tutorial on how to add fonts to Windows, and the help guide in the program explains how to add them with Unix, but I can't find anything about macs. Any advice? I am using Office 2.4 and my MacBook runs whatever animal came before leopard (Tiger?).
OOo 2.4.X on Mac OSx other
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Installing a new font on a Macbook (pre-leapord)

Post by jrkrideau »

atomicgrape wrote:Welcome beginner. What is your question or comment?
Please try to briefly and clearly tell us: What you want, What you tried, and What happened.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have often had a problem with my formatting being changed whenever I save a document as a .doc and e-mail it to someone using Word. I think the problem is that when they open the file it automatically puts it into Times New Roman font. This has never been a big deal before but I just started grad school and there are strict limits on the number of pages for the various projects (all of which have to be submitted electronically as a .doc). Changing the font to TNR has made my essay up to 1/2 to 3/4 a page shorter (more depending on how long the essay is). I downloaded TNR from the internet and it was added to my Font Book but I do not know how to get Open Office to recognize those fonts and use them (or if it is even possible). I saw a tutorial on how to add fonts to Windows, and the help guide in the program explains how to add them with Unix, but I can't find anything about macs. Any advice? I am using Office 2.4 and my MacBook runs whatever animal came before leopard (Tiger?).
I'm not a Mac user ( sob :cry: ) but generally the principle is that OOo gets all its fonts from the system. That is, there are no OOo specific fonts. Can you check and see if the font you have installed is available for other programs on the Mac?

Animal before Leopard ---> fleeing antolope?
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
davidb

Re: Installing a new font on a Macbook (pre-leopard)

Post by davidb »

Oo 2.4 uses X 11 - so oo doesn't use the mac fonts directly they need to be copied into oo. This now happens when you first start the program after installation. So if you add a font after installation it won't be available for oo. There used to be a program called Fondu that did this manually - I don't know if it is still available. A better solution is to use a native mac version like 3.0 or NeoOffice then any font installed on your mac will be available for oo too.
OOo 3.30 on Mac OSx other + Windows XP
kabing
Volunteer

Re: Installing a new font on a Macbook (pre-leopard)

Post by kabing »

Note that even if you switch to NeoOffice or OpenOffice.org 3.0, conversion to MS Word for Windows formatting won't be absolutely perfect, even if you are using Times New Roman.

Every week I send a two page .doc file to a Windows user with Microsoft Word, and most weeks my copy of NeoOffice and his copy of Word put the soft page break in different places. It's usually only one or two lines different, but I've learned not to use a hard page break near to force a particular line to the next page; if I do that near the end of my page, chances are he'll end up with a document with a blank page in the middle or--worse yet--a page with only one line on it because of the difference in pagination.

In my case, this is not a significant problem.

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)