New 4.16 version install

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
lekingsley

New 4.16 version install

Post by lekingsley »

I have just updated my iMac to MacOS High Sierra and when I went to open one of my Open Office docs it said that the 32 bit technology was outdated. If I download the new 4.16 version does that just overwrite my existing 3.4 version I have of Open Office now, and will my docs still work the same? Does this new version take care of the 32 bit issue with my Mac? If not will Open Office be written in the new 64 bit technology? Thanks
Open Office 3.4 on MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
MrProgrammer

Re: New 4.16 version install

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
lekingsley wrote:If I download the new 4.16 version does that just overwrite my existing 3.4 version I have of Open Office now?
I would remove 3.4 first. See [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q04/A04. Then install 4.1.6. See Q03/A03. See Q06/A06 if you need Java; OpenOffice will tell you if a feature you're using requires it. Version 4 will also create a new Version 4 profile, so you can remove the Version 3 profile since it won't be used. See Q02/A02. Before doing that, if you have made customization in your user settings (OpenOffice → Preferences) you may want to note those settings in version 3 so you can reapply them when you install version 4.
lekingsley wrote:Will my docs still work the same?
Yes, version 3 and version 4 use the same document format, ODT for text documents, ODS for spreadsheets, ODP for presentations, etc. You will lose the list of documents in OpenOffice → File → Recent Documents, but the documents are still there and you can open them with File → Open. I believe that MacOS will retain its list of recent documents which you can see with a long click on OpenOffice in the Dock. That list is separate from the list inside OpenOffice.
lekingsley wrote:Does this new version take care of the 32 bit issue with my Mac?
Yes, see Q45/A45.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
lekingsley

Post by lekingsley »

Ok, so I am a computer nerd and totally unsure about anything that has been said. Normally what I am used to is when an app has an update or new version it takes care of itself and I just have to hit the update, I don't have to remove apps and such. And what is all of this q and a's with numbers after them.

If I install the new version without removing the old one does that mean I will have both available to use?

Also my question on the bit technology was not answered. I would write the number but my friggin ipad wont switch to the number screen.
Open Office 3.4 on MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

If you are currently using 3.4, as your signature states (a very old version), and you install 4.1.6 (the current version), then you will have two versions installed, due to the fact that the 3.x versions were installed to a different directory than the 4.x versions.
If you have already updated to a 4.x version, but not 4.1.6, then the 4.1.6 version will over-write the older 4.x version.
You can remove the older version either before or after installing the newer version... the choice of when, or if, to remove the older version is up to you.

The Q's & A's are in reference to the various Questions & Answers in the Mac FAQ Tutorial, which MrProgrammer linked to. Please use the link and read the FAQ... If you want to jump to the specific question/answer referenced, just search the FAQ for (example) Q45

Your questions are answered in the Mac FAQ Tutorial
 Edit: The link below is to an essential tutorial for Mac users; it will solve a lot of Mac related problems
Tutorial: Mac FAQ 
Last edited by RoryOF on Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link added to Mac Tutorial [RoryOF, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.